Chapter 41- I found all I want (River)

Oliver wants us to go and visit his father today to show off our new found relationship status. I feel like I'm on a high right now. Oliver could ask to jump off a cliff with him and I'd do it. Everything just feels so right between us right now.

"You ready?" He asks and interlaces our fingers together and I feel a little spark. I beam up at him. "Yep, let's go."

Once we get inside Oliver's father room, I hide my fingers in my jeans, Oliver and I decide that we will tell him once we catch up a bit more.

"How are you guys?" He asks when we sit down.

"Shouldn't we be asking you that?" Oliver quips.

"I feel fine. Well as fine as I could possibly be."

"Good, I've chosen what I want to do." I perk up at this. 'Oh do tell.' I ask.

"I choose Hockey, it will be my full time profession but I love law and my original plan was to do them book, but you know life. I'm going through with my law degree, and it's my fall back plan in case I don't get drafted."

"Are you sure that's what you want to do?"

"Yeah, it'll be hard but so fucking worth it." We then fall into small easy conversation. Oliver's father tells us about his new hospice friends he made, and about how he had to inform his job and some other's about his condition. Despite the sad topic, today was nice.

Then we tell him the big news. I take my hands out my pocket and "We're getting married!"

Oliver pales, Oliver's father smiles and I laugh.

"No-no River remember promise ring? Oliver asks hopefully.

I manage to conjure up fake tears. "Y-you don't want to marry me? Why wait?" I grab onto his hands and say ' Fuck waiting let's get married now!' If possible Oliver becomes even more pale. I like Edward Cullen as the next girl but I'd rather my boyfriend have a little color to him.

"Ok, calm down, I was just fucking with you." Oliver's father bursts out laughing and I follow suit. Oliver's eyes narrow and he says ' You lot are evil.' But I see the humor in his eyes, so I know he isn't too upset.

"I'm happy for you and River son, you both deserve happiness and I'm glad you found it in each other. I just wish I could attend your future wedding."

"Thank you dad, I'm really going to fucking miss you."

"Me too son, me too. I love you, you know." He says on a whisper while wiping a tear away.

"I love you too." Oliver says just as slowly.  What is it and this world not giving him a break.