Chapter 16- The calm (River)

On our way to the house, Oliver stopped by Walmart and got a few things. I wanted to ask what he got, but he didn't offer an explanation and truthfully I didn't care enough. I'm too raw right now to care about anything, I just keep replaying everything that happened at the bar, all while trying not to cry. We stop a few minutes later at an apartment complex, it looks rather fancy. If it was any other situation, I might stop and gawk, maybe make a joke, but I can't even find it in me to pretend. He pulls out his phone, types for a minute, waits and puts his back in his pockets. He gets out, takes the bag and opens my door. He puts his hands out and I take it.

We reach his apartment door, when I finally register the fact that I'm about to be alone,alone with Oliver for the first time. We've been alone before but somehow this feels different. I don't have much time to dwell on it because he takes my hand and gives me the bag. I stare at it and look back at him.

"Toothbrush, toothpaste,  soap, underwear, sweatpants and a shirt." He smiles tentatively and points to where I'm guessing is the bathroom. I leave without another word.

Showering takes longer than usual. Getting the stench of beer out curly hair is a bitch, especially with no hair products. I curse Oliver a little for being generous. I use his Garnier shampoo and almost cry at the sight. It does get the job done, but I know my hair will hate me tomorrow if i doesn't already.  I put my hair in two french braids, without products and get out the shower. I leave feeling and smelling fresh and go back to the living room when I notice a first aid kit and a laptop next to Oliver. He jumps a little at the sight of me and I give him a small smile that he tires and fails to return. He motions for me to sit down at his stool and I do. Wordlessly he cleans up my cuts and puts antispectic cream on it. My skin will hate me soon enough right along with my hair. It feels natural to ask the ingredients but I don't want to ruin the moment.

Oliver has no such qualms when he says " I'll shower, pick a show. My password is OllieH23."

I smile and he leaves.

Oliver shower is a little shorter. At least he wasn't drenched in beer.

During his shower, I moved towards his couch, but he motions for me to come. I leave the laptop but he says "Bring the laptop, we'll go to my bed." I hesitate but he just rolls his eyes and says "I won't pounce on you tonight." I laugh at his tonight, but bring the laptop and walk with him to his room. We get settled on the bed and he puts his arm around me and moves me closer. 

I put on Extraordinary You as a joke, in hopes of ? I don't even know, but I feel his smile in my hair and I know I choose right.

We're in a three hour binge session of this show when I start balling my eyes out. I don't even know why I start crying, we were watching a pretty funny scene. I start laugh crying all while Oliver hold me without a word. He just holds me while I cry and I couldn't be more grateful for this man.

When my tears finally stop, I find my voice again "I'm sorry."

"It's okay."

"It's not." I whisper.