Chapter 36- Already Gone (Oliver)

River stays the night at the hospital with me. She does that for a while. She come to the hospital, brings me something to eat, and a fresh pair of clothes. I showered there once and never did it again. Then I started going home and showering and going back to the hospital. The doctors put my father in a coma to help him heal or something. I don' t really listen.

After about two weeks, I had to start going back to school before I start falling behind on everything. I finally made a decision, I'm choosing Hockey. I am not however going to change majors, despite how hard it might get. There's always a chance that Hockey might not work out, I might blow out my knees, or take one too many hits to the head. 

I'm going to play the sport I love and fall back on the career I want. If anything, Hockey will help me get a leg up in the whole law world. I don't want to live my life full of regrets and I can't choose one or the other, and I've had both at my grasp for a while, so no need to choose to make things easier for myself.

That always was the original plan, but life happened and shit just got hard, but I've held out this long, so I can do it for a little longer.

My father missed the last few of my games, I always go back and tell him how it went. We lost a few times, but it's mostly my fault, my head wasn't in it, but I was able to bounce back. My teammates thought it was too early for me to even be playing when I started losing games for us, but I needed something to channel my anger, sadness and frustration, so I did it on the ice and no one was complaining anymore.

They don't really talk about my father anymore when it became obvious I wasn't giving them an inch. I'm thankful they stopped. They texted me a few times for updates, which is usually nothing changing, I know they want to be there for me but I just want to be alone.

Joey brings me food a lot which I appreciate, we don't really talk that much, not that he tries, I didn't talk to him much after my grandfather died. Guess he figures it's my way of dealing with grief. Truthfully, I just have nothing to say, what's there even to say? I can already feel my father already being gone.

River comes by the hospital a lot, hold my hand and leaves after a while. Sometimes I cry, sometimes she cries, and more often than not we both cry. Why is she so near but so far away?