Chapter 17- Before (River) edit 10/9/2021

Oliver doesn't mention what happened last night. I'm glad. If he tried to talk to me, I would've shut him down, I don't know how he knew what I needed but I like him a little more. Instead he made me a bagel and gave me coffee. We don't talk, we just eat in comfortable silence. I brush my teeth and Oliver gets his duffel. He has practice today, so he has to drop me off earlier than usual.

We get to my house and he turns to me. " I'll call you okay?"

"Yeah." I mumble and get move to get out the car. He stops me by grabbing my arm. "Okay?"

"Yeah. Okay. Get to practice okay?"

"Yeah."

"Wait!" He says just as I'm getting out.

"What?" I say arching an eyebrow. He pulls out a muffin in the back with a $10 StarBucks gift card. 

"Thought it was just coffee on Friday's." I quip lighting up the mood just a fraction.

"Yeah well..." I thought he would finish the though after a few more minutes of silence, but when he just continues to stare at me I just take the muffin and gift card and smile up at him and wave goodbye before just leaving. I hear him drive away but I don't glance back. I walk inside and slump down on the door. I'm honestly still too upset and too numb to even be embarrassed about everything that just happened. As much as I hate Ashlyn with every inch of my soul, I do admit, I didn't have to stoop to her level of petty and immature but I do admit I don't regret it. She had it coming. The only thing I regret is Oliver having to see me like that. I'm not a violent person, and I think he got turned off by it. I know I shouldn't care what he thinks because we're only fake dating but I can't turn off how I feel about it as much as I want to.

Feelings suck. I'm bruised all over so Classes will definitely be a no go at least for the next week. It also means I can avoid Oliver for our weekly Thursday meet up. I'm not as vain as most people, but I do have enough dignity to wait out until the worse of the bruising heals so that I can cover it up with makeup. Ashlyn's a bitch, but damn she hits hard. I broke her nose though. I give myself a smug smile and get up and go towards my room.

I pick up indecent pajama shorts and a tank top and then hop in the shower. I slip into my clothes, and opt to go bra less with the top, not as if there's much to see anyways. I pick up my laptop and go straight to my illegal websites. I browse for at least thirty minutes until I choose Lost girl. I love that show. It' about this girl who learn's she a succubus and starts fighting crime with her human best friend. I need something lighthearted to take the edge of things. I don't even notice how late it is until I get an incoming call. It's Oliver.

"Hey." He says. Even through the phone, I could feel the tension. I'm not one to beat around shit and wait for the universe to fix it, so I'll tell him my truth and hope that he maybe forgives me.

"Look I'm not a violent person, I swear. However, I do understand if you don't want to keep dating me. Well fake dating but you know what I mean."

He's quiet for a while, so I know he's thinking of the best way to break it to me gently. I'm going to beat him to the "it's not you, it's me" spiel when he starts cursing violently. Seriously, I've never heard such creative ways to say fuck, you would've thought he was the writer in this sham relationship.

"Are you done?" I say, snapping a little. While I am amused, I don't want this conversation to go on for too long.

"Fuck River, I don't care even if you ever were a violent person. I hit your ex the day I met him, who am I to judge you for getting angry. That girl deserved it."

"Oh." I say stupidly.

"Look. I'm sorry I've been radio silent since it happened, I was in my own mind fuming. I tend to say the wrong shit when I'm heated so I learned to stay silent. You were already pissed and damn near looked like you were about to break if I said something wrong and I didn't want you be angry at me. Maybe my silence gave you the wrong impression."

Huh, I guess he was giving me comfort in his own little Oliver way. I wonder why he feels that way in the first place.

"Sorry for freaking then."

"No. I'm sorry. I'm not breaking up with you either. Guess your stuck with me for now."

I laugh a little and all the tension just leaves my body.

"How was practice?"

"Good, but horrible."

"Good, but horrible." I echo.

"Yes."

"Elaborate." He sighs as if I'm the one being difficult here. "I played really aggressive today, and some of the guys got a little pissed. We usually save the aggression for the ice."

"Why were you aggressive today?" I'm asking a stupid question, I know I am. He knows I am, but I want to hear him say it, and I want to keep him on the phone for longer.

"I was thinking about you." He says, voice full of humor.

"Ouch. I'm not sure if that's flattering or not."

"You know what I mean."

I can feel the smile in my voice when I say "Yea, I do." I decide last night this fake dating thing was pretty dumb and I'm not exactly sure how to broach this topic with Oliver, considering it was his idea and he might be offended that I'm calling it off.

"Hey Oliver?"

"Yes."

"Maybe we should stop the fake dating and just stay friends and when we see Bash and Ashlyn in public, we just get touchy. Just stick to what we've been doing so far, minus the fake dating."

"If that's what you want, I'm game."

"Really?"

"River, I'd do anything for you." God this guy is something else.

"What are you-" Then my doorbell rings. Fuck doorbells. Fuck whoever is behind the wall. 

I open the door and see it's the police. My heart plummets.

"River Nixion. You are under arrest for the assault of Ashlyn Baker. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney."

The officer says some other stuff but everything is such a blur, I don't even hear him. I just nod numbly when he asks if I understand.

I get to the police station and they let me use their phone. I call Oliver.

"Hello?"

"Hey I got arrested for my fight with Ashlyn. Help me please." Before he can say anything I hang up and wait.