Chapter 39-Redemption (River)

After I got home last night my mind is working a mile a minute. I want to hate Joey but I can't. I know nothing about the guy to hate him, we've met in passing before but nothing concrete, we get along but that's about it. However, with the way Oliver talks about him, I'm surprised he kept something so major from him.

I made the mistake of trying to tell him what to do with his complicated relationships and I won't do that again. Oliver can do with Joey as he wishes, I refuse to get in the middle of it.

I call Avery to clear my mind. I've told her the basics of what's happening with Oliver and she's given her support and space. These days we can barely interact, she's starting this law internship and buries herself in her work, it's like this girl never gives herself a break. But I'm not one to judge.

"Hey." I greet

"Hey, how's Oliver?"

"The same."

"Still brooding and depressed?"

"Exactly so."

"You were right."

"I know."

"You don't even know what for."

"When am I ever wrong?"

I sigh. She's usually never wrong.  "I'm in too deep and I couldn't leave if I wanted to."

"I knew you wouldn't save yourself when you took him back after he told you the truth about him."

"What can I say I'm a masochist."

"How are you doing?"

"Hopeless."

"Natural feeling, hang on for him."

"You know I will. How's the internship going."

"Good, but you know that little shit Dallas I was telling you about?"

"Yeah." I secretly think they're in love with each other, but the prospect of love makes Avery's skin crawl, so I don't mention it to her.

"He brought me coffee, wants the call a truce. As if we were in some type of competition." They are, she spiked his coffee with salt to give his drink a little spice. She also put his email in those sent junk mail sites. Nerd humor.

"Did you drink it?"

"Of course not, he probably spiked it with salt."

"Just like you did?"

"Exactly!" I roll my eyes even though she can't see. Her talking about her soon to be office romance is a nice reprieve from the depressing shit I go through with Oliver on a daily basis. I love him but I need a break from him sometimes.

It's Monday and Oliver and I are meeting his father to his new humble abode. I brought a few decorations to give his room a homier feel.

"How do you feel?" I ask

"Scared shitless."

"Doesn't matter, let's go inside."

"Way to make me feel better." I open my door and arch my brow in a coming motion. He smiles and walks out and grabs my hand. We walk into the place hand and hand.

We walk inside and are immediately greeting by a person Oliver probably could go without seeing right now.

Joey.

At least he has the decency to look a little ashamed right now.

"What are you doing here." Oliver says angerly.

Joey runs his hand through his hair. "Your father asked me to be here, says he wants to talk."

Oliver rolls his eyes and we wait for someone to bring us to his room. We get there and great his father. We all sit there in uncomfortable silence. Well uncomfortable for me, all three men look pretty okay with being silent. I'm silently fighting the urge to get up and put up the decorations. It's just a few photos and led lights. It's not much but it's something.

"So, boys how have you guys been?" Oliver father quips, seemingly unaffected by Oliver's refusal to look at Joey and Joey burning a hole into Oliver's face.

Silent, until I sigh and everyone looks at me. I stand up, and fuck it, they can be silent, I'm putting these damn decorations up.

 "I'm putting these decorations up, be silent for the rest of the visit, see if I care." I do care, but I'm hoping my words strike up some semblance of a conversation. It works.

"Oliver, stop blaming Joey, I told him to keep his trap shut."

"I don't blame him, but I really really want to kill him right now."

"That's better, now make up with Joey, he did nothing wrong." Oliver's father states firmly.

"Look Oliver, I'm really fucking sorry, maybe I should've told you but I didn't. I'll regret it for the rest of my days but please tell me you have it in your heart to see yourself forgiving me one day? We've been together for the longest time."

Oliver sighs and slumps down. "Maybe, but just not anytime soon. I'm trying very hard to get over my anger at you but it's really fucking hard."

"I get it, and I'll wait like you did for me."

Oliver flashes a smile but quickly drops it. I think he's too forgiving. If roles were reversed, I wouldn't dare speak to Joey again, but Oliver's a grown man.

I finish putting on the lights and I think of putting up the pictures we have. We took some together at the hospital and I put some pictures of Oliver, Oliver and I, Oliver and Joey in the mix. I instead hand them to him.

"If you want to look at them at night." He gives me a small smile that I return. How do you make a dying man feel at peace?