fourteen.

14

14. FAMILY, BY LOVE
OR BY BLOOD

REMUS PULLED VALENCIA into a guest room of the de Oro-Barreno house, a look of disbelief on his face, "Does she know who her father is?"

"Wh-What?" Valencia whispered, her eyes widening.

"Don't play dumb, Val," Remus shook his head, growing angry. "She's so obviously Sirius's."

"No, she's mine," Valencia corrected. "He's not here, remember? He didn't give birth to her or raise her. And you didn't even know if Sirius is her father."

"You named her Carina." Remus crossed his arms. "That's a constellation, she has to get that pale skin of hers from somewhere, the curly hair— God, just looking at her for a second reminds me so much of him!"

"Fine, you're right, Sirius is her father– Are we done now?" Valencia tried to walk off but Emanuel walked into the room.

"Does that little girl have a clue where her father is?" Emanuel asked. "Don't even try to lie, Val. That smirk that I saw on her face once belonged to Sirius Black. What did you tell her?"

"That her father's away." Valencia shrugged, sitting down on her bed. "She doesn't know his name, or where he is, just that he's away. I'm not gonna lie to her. She's only 8, when's she older, I'm gonna tell her the truth."

"And what's that?" Remus spoke up.

"That her father is in prison, her father is Sirius Black." Valencia shrugged.

"What about his innocence?" Remus questioned.

"What innocence?" Valencia gave him a look, crossing his arms. "He killed 12 people, Remus—"

"You don't really believe that, do you?" Remus cut her off.

"Of course I do!" Valencia raised her voice. "I was with him that night! I found I was pregnant that day, and I begged him not to go after Pettigrew, but he still did! And then he killed people."

Emanuel heard his children call his name and sighed, walking out of the room. Remus looked at Valencia, "He's innocent, Val."

"I can't tell Carina that." Valencia shook her head. "Then she'll go into Hogwarts defending a notorious murderer, that's a good way to start off her new school. I gave her my last name for a reason, Remus, I didn't want her getting picked on just for who her father is."

"I didn't think you guys were having sex." Remus mumbled.

Valencia twisted her eyebrows, looking at him and getting up from the bed, "We were together, Remus! What did you think we were doing? Playing Ring-around-the-Rosie?"