twenty-three.

23

23. DID YOU FORGET
WE LOVE YOU?

  SPRING BREAK WAS getting closer and closer, and it was honestly the only thing motivating Thea to hold on. One more week and she would be in her father's arms, in one of his comforting hugs. One more week till she saw her Uncle Moony again, who she hadn't written to in a few days purely because it hurt to write. Thea sighed, genuinely smiling for the first time in a while when she thought of her family— Her dad, Remus, Tia Val, her grandparents, Monroe and Rose, Carina. She couldn't wait to see them. The girl opened the door to her dorm, surprised when Eva was waiting for her, sitting on her bed.

"What's up, Ev?" Thea questioned, dropping her school bag on her trunk and slipping off her robe.

"How long has Dominic been abusing you?" Eva asked, her arms crossed.

Pure, utter terror spread through Thea's body as she froze. Tears flooded her eyes and she shook her head, doing her best to lie, "Are you crazy?"

"I don't know, push your sleeves up and we'll find out." Eva crossed her arms, standing up from the bed.

"Eva, this is ridiculous." Thea scoffed, shaking her head. "Dominic is my boyfriend, he's not abusing me."

"You wait till Noelia, Poppy, and I are all asleep to take off your makeup because you're afraid we'll see how dark your eye bags are or the lack of color in your face from the lack of food in your system. I saw the fear in your eyes when Ember got excited that the temperature was getting warmer, because you knew that meant it would eventually be suspicious for you to wear long sleeves." Eva explained, not taking her eyes off the de Oro girl. Thea could have sworn her heart stopped. It was too late, someone knew. "You flinch too easily for comfort everytime someone is standing up next to you. You don't look in the mirror for more than two seconds, and you don't dare look your brothers in the eyes for too long because you know they would be able to tell something is wrong with you by your eyes."

"How do you know this?" Thea whispered, her voice barely audible.

"Let's just say it's a bit familiar." Eva shrugged.

"Eva, you can't tell anyone." Thea walked over to her friend, shaking her head. Eva just gently pulled her into a hug and the de Oro broke immediately. Small sobs left Thea's body and Eva just held her friend tighter, squeezing with comfort. A slight relief filled her chest, it felt good to cry.

"It's okay, it's gonna be fine." Eva promised. "We need to tell your brothers."

"No, no, we can't," She refused. "Who knows what they'll do."