SIXTY TWO

CALLS

"Hey, here he comes. Stay down." Hushed Pope as they slowly drove passed Gavin's house.

Silas nodded towards JJ, causing JJ to gently pull River down into his lap and use his body to cover hers. River didn't say anything, instead she closed her eyes and enjoyed the closeness. It had been ages since JJ and her were this close.

She could feel his warm breath on the back of her neck, his fingers traced soothing patterns on her skin. It was nice to have him this close, although something about it felt foreign.

Pope had lowered his seat all the way back, making Silas lay his head next to Pope's. A smirk formed on the brunettes face as he shot a playful wink to Pope, making him become all flustered.

"He didn't see us. He didn't see us. Go." JJ's hand travelled down to the small of River's back, causing a shiver to travel down her spine as she sat up.

River turned and looked towards JJ, he had a soft smile on his face, mainly happy that she had allowed him to hold her. The corner of the girls lips curled upwards in response, not wanting to completely make the boy feel like she hated him.

"My seatbelt." Pope panicked once the beeping came on through the car. He didn't want to bring any attention to them, but with the way Silas just looked at him, he couldn't exactly think straight.

"I think I may have made him a little flustered." Silas smirked as he turned to face River. "I love this power." His nose scrunched up at he spoke and his eyes glistened with joy.

River shook her head at her best friend, Silas loved flirting with anyone he laid his eyes on. He kind of got a power trip from it. Not that she could blame him, Silas was hot and he knew that, so he used it to his advantage.

"Are you seriously buckling up now?" JJ snapped as he watched Pope frantically pull the seatbelt.

Silas just leant forward and gently grabbed the belt to give to Pope. It was so effortless that Pope didn't exactly know what to do.

"Thank you." Pope managed to whisper, his fingers brushing against Silas' ever so slightly.

"You're welcome, Heyward." Silas whispered back.

JJ watched the whole event unravel in front of him, his mouth fell agape slightly, causing River to use her index finger to close it again. She gave his chin a small playful pinch.

Kie drove around followed around after Gavin, they knew that if they got too far away they wouldn't be able to hear what Gavin was saying because the airpods would disconnect.

"It's Ward. He's talking to Ward." Pope announced, he had both airpods in so that he could hear the call clearly.

"Are you serious?" Kie questioned.

River leant forward, sticking her head between the two front seats. Silas has rested his head on the side of Pope's seat and JJ rested his head on River's shoulder. Subconsciously, her hand made its way up to run her fingers through his hair.

"Get closer. I can't hear." Pope instructed. "He's talking about negotiating something. Renegotiating."

Everything fell silent, the group all turned and looked at Pope, wondering what it was that he was hearing. JJ light pressed his lips against the skin of River's shoulder.

"Gavin's got the gun that Rafe used to kill Peterkin." Pope announced, making everyone let go of a string of cuss words. "I think he's trying to use it as extortion, as leverage."

"Wait. He's pulling over." River pointed as she began to anxiously fiddle with the rings on her finger.

It was something that didn't go unnoticed by JJ, so he allowed his hand to drop to her thigh. He nodded slightly, silently telling her that it was okay if she fiddled with his rings. The blonde smiled thankfully as she began to twirl the rings around his fingers.

"Do I pull behind him? What do I do?" Kie panicked.

"Go round the block." Silas instructed, his eyes landed on Gavin shouting at Ward on the phone.

"We're gonna loose him." Kie drove as quickly as she could so that they wouldn't loose the connection.

"I can't hear anything. Shit." Pope cursed. "I'm losing the signal. I can't hear him." He continued to panic, that was until Silas leant forward and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

River's eyes widened once she saw the road barricades, they weren't able to drive around the block. They were fucked.

"Turn the car around, Kiara." River snapped, she didn't exactly mean too but the longer they were away from Gavin and his car, the worse the signal got.

"I'm just gonna back up." Kie responded, her grip on the steering wheel was so tight that her knuckles turned white.

"What are you doing?" JJ shouted out of the window once a truck blocked them off. "Hey, we were about to back up."

Pope jumped out of the car, Silas following closely behind. He didn't exactly like the idea of Pope going off alone. He knew how much Pope meant to River and he wasn't about to allow anything happen to the boy.

"We gotta know where they're meeting." Pope shouted, he grabbed Silas' sleeve and pulled him closer so that they could run faster.

"We gotta go." River linked her hand with JJ's and pulled him with her. "Leave the fucking car, Kiara."

The brunette didn't exactly like the idea of leaving her father's car unlocked in the middle of the road. She can't imagine that it would go down well if he found out. But their friends were in trouble.

They needed this proof to bring John B and Sarah home safety. Without the proof that Rafe killed Peterkin, there was no chance in them coming back home.