EIGHTY EIGHT

TRAUMA

River sat at the back of the Malibu beside Sarah, she hadn't uttered a word yet. She felt so anxious to be going back to John B's house, knowing that JJ would be there.

"John B?" Sarah questioned as she stood up so that she could see more clearly. "John B!" The blonde didn't hesitate to run towards the front of the Malibu and practically jump off to see the boy. "Oh my God! He's out."

River slowly stood up and made her way towards Topper, who was watching Sarah with a saddened expression. The girl placed her hand on his bicep and offered him a sympathetic smile.

"There he is." Topper nodded, trying his hardest to smile.

Sarah grabbed onto the rope and wrapped it round her arm a few times before the boats collided and she was able to be pulled into John ab's body.

"Hi." John B smiled into a hug, River watched happily but then realised how Topper must have been feeling and placed her hand down solidly on Toppers shoulder as a way of empathy.

"Hey!" Sarah said happily with a small laugh looking around at the others and then towards JJ with a small scowl remembering River's anger towards his stupid deal.

"Oh my god. I'm so glad you're okay. Hi." John B breathed into the crook of Sarah's neck, he looked up at River and gave her a smile she was happy to see him outside and free.

"I didn't know if I'd see you again." Sarah said clinging onto John B, "What happened?"

"Uh, they dropped all the charges." John B explained as Sarah pulled away from him and sent River an excited look which was her signal to join the boat. "Yeah i'm a free man."

Topper gave River a small head nod as she swapped boats, helping her across with a hand. John B brought her in for a hug and she allowed him to though the boat journey had made her feel awfully sick.

"Listen, Sarah, they're coming after Rafe." John B explained with River still hooked under his arm, she was trying not to gag because she hated being sick especially in front of people- plus she was never seasick so she didn't want Topper to feel embarrassed about his erratic driving.

"Good. He's completely unhinged. He jumped me last night. That's why I didn't come back." Sarah explained "River came over to look after me, I've been a mess."

"Yeah, man. Rafe lost his mind. Literally almost drowned his own sister. Thankfully, I got there... got there just in time. I thought that River would be a good friend to soothe her, as you can imagine it was very traumatic." Topper continued putting emphasis on the words which made River cringe.

JJ looked up at River anxiously, he knew that she was angry at him because of the situation with Silas and that was understandable.

"I guess I owe you one, Topper, don't I?" John B spoke letting go of River which left her to fold her arms and give JJ a glare, she was still not sure whether she was going to approach the situation angrily or salty. Whether she should have a screaming match with him or give him the silent treatment.

Which would hurt more?

"It's all good. I mean, somebody had to rescue your girlfriends, plural." he spoke with a smile towards JJ and then John B.

"Right." River hummed, "If I'm even his girlfriend anymore- unless that was a lie too." she scoffed looking up to the sky sucking in her cheeks which made the Pogue's all look confused at JJ.

"Uh that's funny because she's not actually my girlfriend, right?" John B responded over the top of River to cover the awkward silence.

"We'll what is she then?" Topper asked with a chuckle looking at River confused and back again.

"Tell him." John B pushed nudging Sarah who gulped down and looked around like she'd been put in a weird predicament, either way she was going to end up hurting someone.

River felt the tension and turned around to puke, Toppers driving on the boat must've messed her up because her stomach felt curdled.

"You good?" Kie asked and River gave her a sarcastic thumbs up.

Immediately JJ wanted to stand up to make sure that she was okay but he didn't want to anger her anymore. JJ not moving to check on River made Pope scowl, she had no idea what was happening but she didn't like it.

"Gotcha. You're with. Okay, yeah." Topper laughed shaking his head.

"Awkward." River mumbled wiping the corner of her mouth feeling awfully sick but also upset that JJ hadn't come to make sure she was okay.

"I just need a little clarity there. You guys clear on that?" Topper asked Kie and then Pope.

"I think it's clear you gotta go now." JJ spoke up he didn't like Topper and he especially didn't like the way he'd gotten close to River and how he'd picked her up last night like it was a regular occurrence.

"Yeah I think I'll head out. It's about that time." Topper nodded "I'll see you later, Riv." he saluted and the girl smiled at him thankfully.

"Topper. Thank you." Sarah said heading for a hug.

"Yeah of course. I'm just glad you're okay." Topper looked across at John B as he hugged Sarah, he knew what he was doing.

Topper took off and the ripples of the boat made River gag again so she left the boat and started to walk up the dock ignoring everyone behind her.

"Hey! Wait up!" JJ shouted after Pope punched his arm and then pointed for the girl, "Hey, River, wait."

River continued up into John B's house and the door slammed in JJ's face making a plastic smash so he had to angrily open it back up.

"Okay, I get that you're angry but-"

"Angry?" River laughed in disbelief, "You don't even understand the word Angry."