ONE

OUTER BANKS

JJ wrapped his arms around River's shoulders as he took a seat behind her. The blonde was sat in front of him on the scaffolding, so when he took a seat, she quickly slammed the note book shut that she'd previously being writing in, pretending that she had been looking up at John B, who was standing on the roof top of the house the whole time. She didn't want him to see what she was writing. She didn't want anyone to see.

River took a small sip from her beer that JJ had so kindly provided for the five pogues. Normally, it was either JJ or Kie providing the beverages for them, since it was much easier for the two to get their hands on them.

"Can I see what you're constantly writing in that thing yet?" JJ questioned, pushing her hair to one side so he could rest his head on her shoulder.

She'd go through note books like they were nothing, he'd bought- stole- her multiple. But that was the type of friend that JJ was, if someone needed something, he'd do his best to get his hands on it.

"Not a chance J." She smiled, placing a light kiss on his cheek. The two best friends had always been close. Closer than the average best friends anyway.

"Boring." He whispered with a smile, as a light blush made it's way to his face at the fact that she kissed his cheek. Everyone knew that he had a weak spot for the girl, everyone but River anyways.

The five of them were currently on summer break, River's second favourite season, after autumn of course. They were at a house that was under renovation. Kie was inside looking round, Pope was fiddling with some tools, John B was on the roof and JJ was sat with River, as usual.

"That's what, a three-story fall to the deck? I give you about a one-in-three chance of survival." Pope said as he looked up towards John B.

Pope was the smart one of the group and there was no denying that. He was currently a finalist for the Lucas T. Vanderhorst merit scholarship and the other four were incredibly proud of him, even if they didn't show it much. He had worked his whole life for the scholarship.

"Hmm." John B said, licking his finger and holding it up, in order to figure out which direction the wind was blowing. "Should I do it?"

"Stop being stupid JB and get down." River said, as JJ linked their hands together. He wanted to tell her that the boy would be okay and that she didn't need to worry, but John B was impulsive and stupid and River worried too much.

"Yeah, you should jump, I'll shoot you on the way down." Pope chuckled. He was holding up a drill and pretending it was a gun, and that he was shooting at John B.

"You're gonna shoot me?" John B questioned challengingly, making a finger gun with his hand and pretending to shoot Pope. "Pow!"

"Yep." Pope nodded, pretending to stumble back slightly, as if he was shot.

"They're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers." Kie said disgusted as she walked out of the house.

She had spent the past half an hour inside looking around. River never joined her, she didn't want to see what she could have had. River wished that her life was different, that she could have stayed close to her moms side of the family, but then again, she didn't know anything about them. She didn't know who they were, where they were. It was the same with her dad, she had no clue who the man was.

"Of course. Why wouldn't they?" JJ questioned sarcastically, rolling his eyes as he did so.

"I'd have towel warmers if I could." River commented, leaning back, resting against JJ.