SIXTEEN

PEACHY

"Hey mom." River attempted to smile at the woman.

"Don't talk to me you worthless piece of shit." Georgia snapped angrily, she had an expensive glass of wine in her hand, which didn't go unnoticed.

River scoffed and rolled her eyes. She can afford wine but she could barely afford to pay rent.

"Did you just scoff at me?" Georgia glared at the girl. River slowly backed away from the drunk woman.

"No." She lied.

"Stop fucking lying." Georgia shouted as she threw the glass at the floor. River jumped back and looked at the now stained beige carpet. It wasn't the first time something like this had happened. That's why they had so many rugs or mats, to cover up the red wine stains. "You're worthless. I don't even know why you're here. You should just kill yourself." The woman snapped angrily.

River didn't say anything, she just held onto her bag tighter and ran up the stairs to her bedroom.

She closed her door and slid down it. She pulled her legs up to her chest and tried her hardest not to sob.

River heard a faint knock at there door and her mom groan. "Hi Mrs Cross-"

"Miss." Georgia corrected JJ.

"Is River home?" JJ questioned.

"Who?" Georgie looked at the boy confused. She paused for a minute. "Oh my daughter." She tried to laugh it off. "River sweetie! There's a young man here for you." Georgia shouted from the bottom of the stairs.

River slowly made her way down the stairs and was met with JJ. He gave her a sympathetic smile. "You ready to go?" He questioned. River quickly nodded, she needed to get out of the house, now.

Although she had only been back for an hour she felt like she needed to escape.

"Let's go." JJ said holding out his hand for River. He noticed the wine stain and the smashed glass on the floor and looked up to her curiously. River grabbed the boys hand with a small smile. "Bye Miss Cross."

"Don't be late home darling." Miss Cross smiled as her daughter left.

"Are you okay?" JJ questioned before they got into the van.

"Peachy." River attempted to put on a fake smile but JJ could see straight through it.

~

"You mine if I just relax on this one?" JJ questioned, River rested her head on his lap as she laid across the seats. "It's been a long day, and a lot of weird stuff's gone down. I'm just gonna lay low. Oh, did you want a hit of this?" JJ asked Pope, trying time hand him the blunt.

"I'll keep the signal clear." Pope shook his head.

"Dude okay. Do you understand that your problem is that you don't get creative?" JJ questioned. "If you've gotta creative, then—"

"Look, I know I was wrong about the light house, alright? And wrong about everything else going on. But I was right about one thing. Okay? My dad is trying to tell me something." John B said adamantly.

"We believe you John B, always." River reassured the boy, looking up to JJ with a smile. JJ sent her a playful wink back.

~

"Hey come on." JJ whispered harshly as he grabbed River's hand.

"I'm coming." River whispered back, her hand wrapping around his wrist.