CH. 1

Soleil absentmindedly stared at the beige, front door as she sat at the bottom of the steps — contemplating whether she was able to go another week without food in the house. She finished out the last of the groceries last week, and had been getting by on noodles and microwaveable dinners.

Unfortunately she beginning to run out of that as well, and wouldn't have anything else to eat after it was gone. She went grocery shopping once a month by herself every month, and waited until there was absolutely nothing left; forcing her out into the world that she desperately wanted to avoid.

Soleil started to get up and head back up the stairs, not wanting to make the trip to the store in the Daytona heat. However, before she could move a muscle, the quiet room was interrupted by the growling noise her stomach made, indicating she couldn't go another day without eating.

She sighed and got up from her spot, and walked towards the door. She grabbed her house key from off the of the latch on the wall, and unlocked the door.

Stepping onto the front porch, the crisp, dry air surrounded her. The coolness of her skin was beginning to fade as the sun beamed down on her, instantly making her squint her eyes as they tried to adjust the brightness outside.

She locked up the house and turned around, her eyes briefly glancing at the driveway that had been empty for the past two months now. It was still something she had to adjust to, given the fact she was so used to seeing her brother's car parked in it.

She quickly looked away, feeling the burning sensation as tears rushed to her. She proceeded to slip in her headphones, to help prepare for her journey. As she walked out of her gate, she passed by some of the neighborhood children that were playing, and riding in the streets on their bikes.

They all waved to her as she passed by them, causing her to crack a small smile and wave back to them.

It was currently the beginning of August, which meant summer was getting ready to come to a close. The children were out enjoying their last week of freedom, before it was time to return back to school in the fall.

It was a typical day in Soleil's neighborhood, the elders sitting out front on their porch talking amongst themselves, as they watched the kids played. Fathers either tending to their yard, working in their garages or washing their cars.

Soleil went to Apple Music, and chose a podcast to listen to occupy her mind, since the store was about a fifteen minute walk from her house.

"Hey Soleil!" she heard someone shout her name, before she could press play on the podcast. She looked up from her phone and turned towards the voice, seeing that it was one of her neighbors, Ms. Jean, waving at her from her yard.

"Hi, Ms. Jean, how are you?" she spoke, pausing in front of the gate. As Ms. Jean approached the gate, she embraced Lei, patting her lightly on the back.

"I'm fine baby, out for a walk?" She questioned her, placing one of her hands on her hips.

Soleil nodded her head, "Yes ma'am, I'm going to the store to get a couple of groceries. How's Rocko?" Lei asked, referring to her twelve-year old golden retriever.

"Good, good. He's doing a lot better since the surgery, thank God for that." Ms. Jean told her, "It's a little too hot out here to be walkin' all the way down there to the store Lei, my grandson's back in town and he'll be staying with me for awhile, he can take you. I don't want you fallin' out in this heat."

Soleil tried holding back a smile, but failed miserably at doing so. Since the passing of her brother a few months ago, Ms. Jean and a few other of the older women in the neighborhood had been her support system. While she did have her family, her parents stayed on the other side of the city, as her sister lived in New York with her fiancé.