CH. 21

hey icy gang, my lil snowflakes. 💙

Soleil sat in the chair alongside to the hospital bed, the beeping of heart monitor going off every five seconds. Her eyes heavy and low, from the lack of sleep since the accident. She kept her eyes peeled on any signs of movement from her brother, it had been a few days since she and her brother had been in an accident.

Her brother suffered from severe head injuries, and had been deemed brain dead after receiving no response from his brain.

Unfortunately he had to be put on life support, though the rest of her family were finally accepting that Xahir slipped right through their fingers, Soleil was unable to accept that her older brother had died right before her eyes.

Although no one blamed her, she blamed herself, she beat herself up over it heavily that she was unable to sleep. She deprived herself from getting any rest, despite her family telling her that she needed to sleep.

She was afraid to close her eyes, each time that she did, all he could see was her brother unresponsive in the driver's seat; Siraj's face coming into view on the driver's side, the expression of fear on his face. Soleil couldn't get that out of her head, it was forever burned into her mind.

Though Xahir had nearly died on impact after the car hit the pole, the ambulance still rushed him to the hospital in hopes of saving him. The rest of the passengers in the car came out with a few injuries but nothing as life threatening like Xahir.

Soleil heard as the hospital door opened, pulling her out of her thoughts, she saw both of her parents walk in along with Selah, Xahir's doctor and a few nurses behind them.

Her mother turned towards her, beginning to give her a weak smile; immediately dropping it seeing the sole tear that was streaming down her daughter's face. "You okay?" she asked her, concern filling her voice, even though she knew good and well, that she wasn't.

Even though everyone was heartbroken over this tragic accident, Soleil seemed to be taking it the hardest — since she was actually there.

Soleil sniffled; quickly wiping away the single tear, nodding her head as she sat up a little in the chair. "Yea' um," she cleared her throat, deciding to get up instead. "What's goin' on?" she looked from the doctor and the nurses to her family.

She watched as they all exchanged glances with one another, worried expressions on their faces. "We're uh, we're gonna take him off life support." her father spoke up, Soleil stood there glowering, looking between her dad and her mother who was now grabbing Xahir's hand, a few tears now streaming down her face, as Selah stood next to her with a distraught expression.

"What?" Soleil grimaced, figuring she heard him wrong. Her dad started to open his mouth again, until Soleil threw her arms on top of her head, turning around; slowly pacing the room. "You can't do that, y'all not giving him enough time." she spun around, gesturing towards Xahir's body.

"Baby, it's been a few days—"

"And?" she raised her voice, giving both of them a crazed look. "There's been folks who've been deemed brain dead for a whole year, and they end up waking up! I'm not letting y'all pull the plug on my brother!" she shook her head, sitting back down in the chair, pushing the strands of hair out of her face. A lump growing in her throat as she tried to keep herself from crying.

Her dad turned around to face the doctor and the nurses who were giving the family a sympathetic look. He whispered to them; them nodding their heads before turning to leave out of the room, giving the family some private time.