CH. 41

ion know maybe I'm doing a lil bit of projecting in this chapter...

enjoy.

The following morning, Soleil got up early to take Semaj to school. During the car ride there, she had a conversation with Semaj, to make sure that he wasn't feeling a way about Siraj's behavior last night.

She assured him that his dad was just having a bad day and he wasn't mad at him. She hoped later on once Semaj got out of school, Siraj would have a talk with him as he did seem a little down still.

When she dropped him off at school, not much too her surprise, her mom wasn't there. Usually Vanessa was there to open, however one of the assistant managers had to open this morning.

Soleil had plans on stopping by her parents house later on to check on them. She hadn't spoken to them much since the week started, but she didn't expect to.

Soleil wanted to be mad at her parents for returning to their old ways, not keeping in contact with her but she couldn't be mad at them when she knew what they were dealing with.

Siraj heard as the front door opened, followed by shutting it seconds later. Around the corner came Soleil, her keys jingling in her hand.

"Hey..." Siraj softly greeted her, as she walked past him toward his room. "Thanks for taking him to school,"

"Yup," Soleil dryly replied, disappearing into his room. Siraj sighed in defeat, placing his water bottle on the counter before walking toward his room.

As he did, he saw Soleil continuing to pack the rest of the things that she attempted to do last night. Siraj could tell that Soleil was still upset from last night, despite her watching over him and making sure that he was okay, she still gave him the cold shoulder.

Seeing her breakdown last night over what he did, was like a ton of bricks hitting him. The guilt was overwhelming, that he cried with her.

She was right, it was a slap in the face to his best friend. Siraj couldn't stand people who drove while drunk out of their minds—and yet here he was, becoming the very person he despised.

Despite only being tipsy, he thought that he was good to drive home—that thought alone scared him.

This is how people think before they selfishly get behind the wheel and take someone's life.

"Soleil," Siraj gently grabbed her hand, stopping her from packing. Soleil paused and turned to look at him. "Let's talk,"

"About what?"

"Last night,"

Soleil stared at him with a hardened expression, before deeply sighing and sitting down on the bed. Siraj sat down next to her, continuing to hold her hand. "Listen...baby, I'm sorry about last night," Siraj apologized, fiddling with the rings on her fingers.

"Why did you do it, Siraj?"

"I-I don't know, I couldn't tell you what was going through my mind last night. I just..." Siraj swallowed hard, wetting his lips. "I've been thinking about what you said the other night, and it just kind of bothered me,"