3. Another Accidental Meeting

Once they made it back to Carlisle's personal office, Lizzie slid onto the counter awaiting what she thought was a lecture

Once they made it back to Carlisle's personal office, Lizzie slid onto the counter awaiting what she thought was a lecture. But to no surprise, except her own, it wasn't.

"Are you alright? And I don't mean physically."

"I'm fine."

"Elizabeth?" Carlisle pressed ever so gently just enough for Lizzie to give up her tough act and sigh with a sad look.

"I saw it again. When the tires screeched it was like I was back there... upside down in that stupid car, bleeding out. The ice, the smell of smoke... screams, I don't know. But it's over, I'll be fine, I'm sorry."

"Kitty." Carlisle stepped closer and wrapped his arms around her in a hug. Only he called Rosalie and Lizzie that, an affectionate name for his two strongest girls. Alice was Flower because of how delicate she looked and sometimes acted. Lizzie found comfort in her dad, resting her head against his shoulder. "You never have to be sorry. It was a traumatic event and sometimes not even time can heal the pain we feel. Our experiences, they stay with us. You persevere despite it, that's what matters." Carlisle kissed her temple.

"But Edward's right, I could have stopped it. I could have been quicker."

Carlisle pulled back to look at Lizzie. "What happened isn't on you, Elizabeth. Edward knew you'd be fine, but he still took the risk to save Bella. He had a choice, he still has, regardless of what he's making himself believe."

"Yeah."

"It wasn't your fault."

Lizzie loved Carlisle for trying but the guilt mixed with the memories of a decade ago wasn't something she could so easily brush off. Instead, she forced a smile and nodded quickly finishing up with Carlisle so she could race back to school and pick Bella's truck up for her. It was the least Lizzie could do if only to give her mind a moment's peace. She was quick enough to shelter Sam though, so that had to count for something.

Bella was already let out of hospital when Lizzie left, Charlie had taken the rest of the afternoon off to take her to lunch. She didn't see Sam and Dean again and for that, she was thankful, more so for the latter. So, it was almost too easy for Lizzie to complete the kind gesture without anyone knowing. The old trunk was indeed a piece of junk. She didn't care how much Bella liked it, this thing was a metal deathtrap waiting to break down at its earliest inconvenience.

Slower than ever, she finally made it to the Swan Residence. Charlie's police cruiser wasn't in sight as predicted, neither was Dean's Impala, but another car was. Lizzie cut the engine and used the house key on Bella's keychain to let herself in.

"What's the news? Bella and Sam okay, Charlie?" A man's voice rang out.

"Not Charlie, I'm just dropping Bella's keys and truck off!"

"Huh?"

Lizzie set the keys down on the kitchen counter and then walked into the living room where she immediately regretted her actions. She should have just left without a word, instead, she was now under the glare of Billy Black.