36. Carlisle's Panic Is Real

Edward was the first person to know something was wrong

Edward was the first person to know something was wrong. He could hear Jacob's ever-running and terrified thoughts for miles or more accurately from miles away.

No one in the family could understand why Edward was sitting comfortably in the living room the one second and the next he was suddenly standing outside anxiously pacing up and down in the driveway.

Edward refused to say a word and Alice wasn't exactly getting any visions to help them understand his strange behavior, but Jasper could definitely feel the panic his brother was feeling.

Exactly five minutes later Jacob Black's Volkswagen Rabbit was pulling up in the Cullen driveway. Lizzie barely had the chance to open her door before her twin was pulling her to her feet and inspecting her inch for inch with a face full of worry.

"I'm fine," she tried to lie to him.

"You're far from fine, Elizabeth," Edward bluntly stated.

"You're exaggerating," Lizzie remarked.

"And you're understating."

From the front porch, Carlisle and the rest of the family stood watching the interaction. Dean wanted to run over and ask what happened to his sister but for some reason, Jasper was keeping an unusually calm but firm grip on his shoulder stopping Dean.

"Edward, Elizabeth, what is it?" Esme asked. "What's happened?"

"Momma, I'm okay-- "

Lizzie started to say but Edward immediately cut her off as Jacob finally made it to their side his hand naturally finding Lizzie's to provide her some comfort. Edward turned only his head back to the man he called his father.

"Carlisle, you need to check Elizabeth now."

No one knew why not even Carlisle himself but the fear he heard tremble in his son's voice was enough for him to blur away and reappear at Lizzie's free side.

"What happened? Elizabeth?"

Lizzie remembered the expression on Carlisle's face when she explained what happened during her night away from home. She felt how Jasper was trying to calm her as well as everyone else and Lizzie just knew if her mother and sisters were capable of it they'd be crying their eyes out. She sensed Emmett's presence closer than it had been earlier and how after a minute of the shock settling, Carlisle raced his youngest daughter into the house. The two were gone so fast that even Edward and Jacob never saw it coming as Lizzie disappeared from their sight.

"Esme," Alice grabbed their mother and stopped her from running after her husband and daughter. "Let Carlisle run his tests."

"What the hell just happened? What's wrong with Lizzie?" Dean demanded.

No one said anything.

                                                                   ✦✦✦