39. Dean's Fire Lessons Paid Off

The Cullens stood at the ready at the front of the open field that would soon turn into a battleground

The Cullens stood at the ready at the front of the open field that would soon turn into a battleground. Carlisle and Esme were together with Jasper and Alice on their one side and Rosalie and Emmett on the other. Dean and Damon were behind them and the wolves were hidden by the coverage of the trees.

"Now remember, sparky," Damon warned. "Know who the enemy is before you get trigger-happy with that fire of yours."

"He's going to be fine, Damon," Jasper interjected before Dean could.

"They're here," Carlisle announced.

Running and racing into the clearing must have been about a hundred or more newborns. They were vicious and out of control. Their thirst was the only thing motivating them at this point and their bleeding red eyes could testify to that.

The Cullens charged forward and made sure there were no openings for any of them to get away. Bella's blood led the newborns into the trap because all they could smell was the Swan girl even if they couldn't see her.

Jasper made the first kill, ripping a newborn's head clean off before grabbing another one and slamming them to the ground. Emmett wasn't far behind his brother and all he needed to do was punch his fist into the newborns' faces and they either shattered or flew right off the bodies. The rest of the Cullens had to pick their battles a bit more carefully and one by one. They couldn't be reckless because neither of them had the training for it or the strength to get away with it.

Rosalie headlocked one of them as Alice elbowed the newborn until its head went flying off. Carlisle and Esme kept up with more or less the same tactic as they tried their hardest to keep each and every one of their children within their line of sight.

Damon being from the original bloodline or just Damon being Damon took his shot at being the fastest bait. He kept the newborns in line and in the middle of the battlefield until the wolves showed up and leaped into action. Sam, Paul, and Jared took the lead with the rest of the wolves following behind and trying their best to catch up.

Once everyone was positioned and either keeping the newborns busy or killing them, Dean raced around the edges of the field and set them on fire. He created a circle of blazing heat to keep the war contained and within his manipulation.

From the outside and hidden in the shadows of the trees a certain redhead watched the chaos. From her expression, she wasn't expecting any of this to happen. She thought she had a foolproof plan and one that Alice couldn't see coming. But she was wrong. The Cullens were more than prepared for this war and winning by the looks of it, and not on their own either. The wolves were an unexpected playing card, more unexpected than the Cullens, and even more than Dean's gift coming in at the last minute.

This wasn't a part of Victoria's plan. She was furious and with her eyes darting around the scene angrily she noticed that two of the Cullens were missing. The one she wanted revenge on and the other she could care less about.