Chapter 1

One year later on the anniversary of the break up between Jenna and Shay, the boy barely slept at all. His mind was racing as he thought about the woman. He hated that he still thought about her even a year later. She was out of his life and he needed to constantly remind himself about that.

Sometimes when Shay went out to different stores he would think that he spotted the red head only to find out that it was just some random girl that looked nothing like Jenna.

Shay groaned as he sat up in bed rubbing his face with one of his hands as he turned to look at the clock next to him. The red light of the clock flashed as it switched from 4:00 in the morning to 4:01.

He sighed as he stared at the window that was directly across from him. It was still dark out in the city of Concord, North Carolina.

Shay had lived in the city of Concord for only a few years. He had previously grown up in a small town in Kansas on a farm. He couldn't say that he missed it, there was a lot more to do where he lived now then go racing on tractors in the middle of fields.

Shay counted himself lucky for getting to go to college so far away from his old town since it had a reputation for trapping people in the same place for the rest of their lives.

The job benefits that he had were also obviously a plus. Shay got paid well to sit and fix race cars for a living. And on occasion he saw the man in charge of it all, Victor Thorson.

The man was a legend in NASCAR racing and working for Thorson Industries made both Shay and Emmet fanboy to no end.

It took Shay around a half an hour to drag himself out of bed. He had made the choice to go for his usual morning run a little earlier than usual and once he was outside he was slowly regretting the decision.

Concord weather wasn't terrible but when you were tired and already regretting the day ahead the weather could be a bitch.

There was a plus to getting up so early, no one was out to bother you. Shay took this as an opportunity to clear his mind of all things Jenna Malec. The more he dwelled on the fact it was the one year anniversary of getting away from her the worse his mood got.

Shay had followed his usual route down to the park near both his and Emmets shared apartment. Normally the park was filled with families and all sorts of different pets. But now it was empty.

Shay was half tempted to sit on the bench near the large water fountain and stay there for the rest of the day but he knew he couldn't. He had to get back to the apartment and get ready for work.

The shop was going to be visited by a representative from the head of Thorson Industries so both Shay and Emmet had to get there ahead of time to make sure that the shop was up to whatever standards the representative was going to expect.

Back at the apartment Emmets thoughts had also drifted to the representative that would be visiting him and his partner at work. He had barely gotten any sleep due to his mind running wild with different outcomes of the day. If him and Shay failed they could potentially lose the shop which would rip all of their dreams away from them.

His phone buzzed loudly, tearing him away from his worries. Emmet looked over and picked up the phone reading the text his date for tonight had sent. She was excited to see him, which was more than he could say about her. He didn't have the best luck with dating.

Emmet's last girlfriend was plain awful to him in more ways than one. First she was uncomfortable with him being pansexual and often claimed that he would just get up and leave her for another person. Secondly she hated how he wasnt so eager to have sex for the first couple of months.