Chapter 29

"Dad's getting what?" Melanie choked out in shock.

"Arrested." Clara confirmed, "Adam turned him in. He found out about everything. The cause of his crash and the cause of Emmets crash. It's all dad."

"Adam knows?" Melanie began to pick at her lip only stopping when she tasted blood.

"Apparently he's known for a month now." Clara responded, "Today confirmed everything for him. You need to come down here right now. Mom is losing her mind and dad is yelling for a lawyer."

"I'll be there as soon as I can." Melanie told her sister getting up off the floor, "Just don't let mom say anything stupid."

"I won't." Clara promised to hang up the phone.

Melanie sighed as she slid her phone back into her pocket, annoyed. Of course her dad getting arrested would happen on a day like this.

"Hey I need to leave my d—Avery?" Melanie turned to look at the young teenager sitting across from her two friends accompanied by an unfamiliar blonde woman.

"Hi, Melly!" Avery smiled her usual kind smile with a small wave.

Melanie turned to look at Shay and Addilyn who both looked incredibly uncomfortable.

"We need to talk!" Shay said quickly, grabbing Melanies arm and pulling her away from the group.

Melanie gave the woman one last glance feeling off about her, "What the hell is going on Shay?"

"You know how Emmets mom left when he was ten and had another family?" He explained without giving her a proper explanation.

Melanie's eyes widened as she connected the dots. "No fucking way!" She gasped.

"Yeah, that's his mom and little sister," Shay confirmed.

"Does he know?" Melanie asked, glancing back at the mother and daughter.

Shay shook his head, "No and Addi and I just found out right now and don't know what to do because she has no idea we know him. We said we were here for a friend who broke his arm!"

"Kick her out! That's what you do!" Melanie whispered loudly trying not to yell again.

"We've tried" Shay told her, "But we don't know how to do it without telling her we know him because that would cause more issues"

Melanie nodded as she bit her lip gently. She knew Shay had a point. It's bad enough that she showed up now while he was in the hospital but it would also be hard for the two waiting to talk about their friend while they didn't know if he was okay. There was also the possibility of his mom guilting them into allowing her to meet him because they were close friends with him.

"Then I'll do it when I get back, I have no problem having my boyfriends mom hate me" Melanie muttered checking her phone seeing that Clara and her mom had texted her multiple times, "I have to go, my dad's getting arrested for attempted murder of both Adam and Emmet."

"I'm sorry, what?" Shay stared at the woman in front of him. He knew about Adam but the news about Emmet was shocking.

"Yep" Melanie sighed as she held up her phone flashing the texts, "So I'll be back, please tell me if anything happens, and try your best to kick her out"

Shay nodded walking back with her so she could tell Addilyn about her leaving. Shay watched as Addilyn tried to keep her reaction under control while Melanie whispered what had happened in her ear during what seemed to be a goodbye hug.

"Bye kid" She muttered to Avery before leaving the hospital leaving Shay and Addilyn alone with Emmets mom, who they had learned who's name was Shannon.