Chapter 10

"For the last time Melanie, it was a joke!" Emmet replied exasperated as the group walked out of the small ice cream parlor.

"Jokes are supposed to make people laugh, I didn't hear anyone laugh!" Melanie followed him out.

Shay sighed before breaking into their argument, "I laughed"

"Liar!" Melanie pointed at him jokingly before Shay grabbed her hand pulling it away from his face.

"She can fire you, you know" Addilyn giggled as she watched all of them argue, "Both of you"

"It was absolutely a joke!" Emmet said at the same time Shay said, "I did not laugh!"

"Maybe being co-owner really is a good thing" Melanie mumbled to Addilyn with a smirk.

"So, who knows about your promotion so far?" Shay asked to change the subject away from Emmet's joke.

"You guys" Melanie answered as all four of them fell into step, "I still have to talk to James and the rest of the racers about it. Since I'm now going to be in charge of their designs. I also have to talk with all of the shops about their production and everything and wow do I have a lot to do"

Emmet forced himself to not eye roll at the mention of her boyfriend. He was not a fan of the man that she was in love with. Just by watching the races and the one interaction he had with him he could already tell that James was sometimes a dick.

"Well you already got one shop done" Addilyn rubbed her back gently as she gestured towards the other two who waved at her.

"They don't count, '' Melanie shook her head as she waved her hand in their direction.

Emmet gave her a weird look, "Aren't we the best shop you have?"

"I guess" Melanie shrugged, "But Shay's the best owner we have, poster boy"

"It was a joke!" Emmet exclaimed, annoyed once more.

"I wasn't talking about that poster" Melanie shot back as she interlocked her arms with Addilyn still walking.

Emmet threw his hands up in frustration as he looked over at Shay for help. Shay just shrugged in response to him still wrapped up in thoughts of his own.

With Melanie being promoted to the co-owner, her past job would be open for employment. All he needed to do was actually talk to the girl about the possibility of him getting her old job. Yes, he had more experience fixing the cars, he also knew a lot about the development and had design ideas of his own.

Shay was so wrapped up in his own thoughts he didn't notice that the brunette was now standing next to him.

"You want my other job, don't you?" Melanie spoke as she looked up at him, "I saw your designs in the shop a few nights ago, they were really good"

Shay stared at her in shock. How she always knew what was going on in people's minds was beyond him and a little bit scary.

"I'll get you that job, don't worry" Melanie winked at him before he could say anything.

"Thanks," Shay said with a small smile.

Melanie nodded in response, "Anything for a friend, who doesn't have a poster of my dad!" she said the last part louder than the rest of her sentence.

Emmet tossed her a dirty look over his shoulder before going back to his conversation with Addilyn.

"Anyways," Addilyn continued on, "People would commission me to do tattoo designs for them, so that's kind of how I got into actually selling my art instead of just making it for myself or for Melanie"