Chapter 31

"Are you ready for tomorrow?" Shay asked his friend, an eyebrow raised as the two of them sat awake at their table late at night.

    Emmet shrugged in response as he twisted the cup in his hands, "I have no idea. I've been doing physical therapy for this but I don't think that has actually prepared me to sit behind the wheel again."

    Shay nodded as he listened to him, "You can always wait longer"

    "No, if I want to race at the next one they have I have to get in the car now." Emmet explained leaning back in the chair, "But I don't even know if I want to race. What if I crash again?"

    "You know the crash wasn't your fault" Shay told him, "James messed with it so you would lose control the same way Adams car did"

    "Still felt like my fault" Emmet responded this time quieter.

    "It wasn't," Shay repeated, "I know that I sound ridiculous saying that and I can't change your mind but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop. You didn't see the crash from the outside. It was obvious something was wrong with the car itself, not you."

    "You weren't in the car!" Emmet snapped at him annoyed, "You don't know what it's like to see the wall coming at you at a speed like that, knowing that there is nothing that you can do but crash!" he was standing now, "You don't fucking know anything Shay!" he didn't give his friend a chance to respond before walking away into his room.

    "I know that you're a dick" Shay muttered after the door was slammed shut, "And to you so am I."

    Shay had seen Emmet get into moods like this before, where he wasn't telling everyone the full story. He had known him for a while now where he could tell when there was some underlying issue. Shay had a feeling he was keeping something to himself and it wasn't going to be long until he lost control.

-----------------------------

    "Melly you can't be serious!" Addilyn gaped at her friend as she watched her get ready.

    "She's right kid, you can't do this" Clara added on from where she sat in the corner of her sisters room.

    Melanie turned to face them with an annoyed expression on her face, "And why can't I? It was my boyfriend he tried to kill!"

    "Yeah, he's your murderous ex! Which is a good reason as to why you shouldn't go see him!" Addilyn continued on with a frantic expression.

    Melanie rolled her eyes as she began to do her hair, "The worst he can do is pound on the glass. James is going to be in prison for a long time, I'm not afraid of him"

    "That's what I said about Ryder, and now he's out of jail" Addilyn spoke up trying to guilt her friend out of going to go speak with James.

    Melanie hesitated as she glanced over at her friend, "Do you want to come with them?"

    Clara shook her head as she faced the other young woman, "Do not agree to that"

    Addilyn chewed on her lip as she thought about it. Being there with Melanie would make her feel better about the situation because this way she could keep the woman's temper in check.

    "I mean, it would make me feel better about you seeing him" She began, "But why do you want to see him again?"

    "I got an answer from my dad and now I want an answer from him." Melnaie responded, "I feel like both Emmet and I deserve that much"

    "Does Emmet know you're going to go see him?" Clara raised an eyebrow hoping for a better answer than the one she got.

    "I plan on telling him after the track today, I don't want to stress him out more than he already is" Melanie sighed as she went back to doing her hair.