Chapter 12

Mid-October had managed to sneak up onto the small group of friends. After the charity race it seemed as if everything was going to be okay.

The two that worked at the company were working hand in hand designing different concepts and presenting them to the other owner. It felt good to have a friend by their side in a hectic workplace such as the large company.

Both shop owners had more business than ever. With all of the new testing being done on cars, Emmet had been given the task of fixing all of the malfunctions which gave him an excuse to keep one for himself and use it in a street race. Fall dances were also fast approaching which brought in multiple into the flower shop for bouquets and corsages.

"Can you please try it on?" Addilyn asked the man next to her.

Emmet sighed and held out his wrist to her. Addilyn smiled as she placed the violet corsage on his wrist. She fixed one of the extra white flowers and made sure the design looked okay.

"Awww, going to prom, Jones?" Melanie teased as she walked into the living room putting a dangle earring in her right ear.

Emmet scowled at her and rolled his eyes.

"Play nice, Melly!" Addilyn called over her shoulder to the other girl.

Melanie just shrugged in response as she walked over to the kitchen grabbing water from the fridge. She looked over at the two on the couch who were already dressed and ready. Melanie sighed and walked back to her room to go see if James had made any progress.

"James, darling, are you ready?" Melanie knocked on the door before stepping in the room. She crossed her arms and glared at the man sitting shirtless on her bed, "We have to leave in twenty minutes!"

"Then we have ten minutes to spare." James smirked as he held his hand out to her.

Melanie let out a short breath as she walked over to him, taking his hand in hers, "We can't, both Addilyn and Emmet are out there."

    James shrugged in response to her protests as he ran a hand down her chin before squeezing her left breast, "So? They can have a show?"

    "No, James, seriously." Melanie narrowed her eyes at him as she pulled his hand off of her, "We have to leave soon so please just get ready. This lunch is important."

    "Then why is he coming?" James stood, pushing her off of him, "He doesn't work for your dad and he's definitely not a NASCAR racer."

    "He's Addilyn's guest, that's why." Melanie lied right through her teeth as she smoothed the skirt of her dress out.

    The reason Emmet was tagging along to the lunch the Thorsons were having with the members of the company and some racers was because she had a hunch he didn't want to street race for his entire life. So, her plan was to have him show his face at different events where he could be close to her dad. And when the timing was right she was going to bring him up to her dad and hopefully he would be given the chance to race.

    "Whatever you say, Melanie." James sighed as he grabbed his shirt off of the hanger putting it on.

    Melanie watched him, her jaw locked. She shook her head knowing it wasn't the time to start a fight before a very important lunch. Instead she left the room not bothering to give him a reply.

    Emmet and Addilyn's head turned to look over at the entrance of the hallway when they heard her heels quickly approaching. Melanie looked over at them and gave an awkward wave before sitting down on the back of the couch looking at the pile of corsages littered all over the room.