Chapter 14: A leap of Faith

"Chicken delicious," David said that night at dinner with Katherine.

"David, there's something we need to discuss. I applied to law school."

"That's amazing!"David exclaimed."Why didn't you ever tell me?"

"I don't know. Maybe it's because I didn't think I could actually do it. But I did."She said, handing David a slip of paper from the other side of the table. "I got this today. I got in!"

"It's in Boston," David noted.

"I know things have been hard between us, but maybe a fresh start is what we need. Maybe we've been fighting too hard to recapture old memories when we should have been making new ones."

"What did you tell her?"Mary Margeret asked, meeting David later that night.

"That I needed to take a walk, and clear my head, think about it. "

"I guess you didn't tell her that the walk was with me."Mary Margeret said.

"No. No. Of course not."

"Why is that our default?"Mary Margeret asked."Lying. We're not being honest, I know it's hard, but we have to tell the truth about everything. About us."

"I don't know if I can."

"You have to."Mary Margeret insisted."If we can't be honest with other people, how can we be honest with each other?"

"Is it the best plan?"

"What's your plan?"Mary Margeret asked, and David shrugged his shoulders."Moving to Boston."

"No," David answered.

"The only way no one gets hurt here is if we don't want to be together. Is that what you want?"

David stopped walking for a second, grabbing her hand, and now standing in front of her."No."

"Well then, we have to stop hiding and do something. It's better if she hears it from you than someone else. You have to make a choice."

"I choose you," David agreed.

"Then it's time Katherine knew."

The following day, Emma walked over to the diner. On her way in, she met up with August Booth. "I've meant to bump into you. As a matter of fact, I thought that I could get you that drink you promised."

"Is this your way of asking me out?"Emma asked.

"If putting a label on it makes you feel more comfortable, sure. Let's call it a date."

"I thought you came here to write, grab inspiration," Emma said.

"I'm optimistic about our date."

Emma laughed. "See, I have a policy. I won't go out with guys who won't tell me their names. Nice talking to you."She began to walk past August and inside when he called to her.

"It's August. August W.Booth."

Emma stopped at the porch, turning back to him."Really. What's the middle initial?"

"W is Wayne. So there goes your reason for not meeting me here after work."Emma watched as August walked across the road for a moment, then headed inside.

"Who was that?"Mary Margeret asked, her eyes jotting from the window watching then to Emma as she took a seat at the table.

"I don't know yet."

"Yet. Yet being the keyword there."Mary Margeret muttered. "What'd you find out?"

"It's nothing."