Chapter 16: Red Handed

"I hope Katherine's somewhere warm."David said, now sitting across from Emma in the station."Not out in the cold."

"David, I think you need to start worrying about yourself a little more here.''Emma said. " Your wife is missing; and you're here, in love with another woman. Then,there's this unexplained phone call."

"I know. And I can't explain why it says that,"David admitted. "But I didn't do anything to my wife."

"I'm pretty good at spotting a liar. And honestly, liars have better material. Now, go home."

David seemed shocked at what Emma had just said. "I can go?"

Emma nodded. "We don't even know if there's a crime yet. So go get some sleep. And David, maybe get a lawyer."With that, David left the station.

Emma left too, shortly after running into Mary Margeret. "Is he ok?" Mary Margeret asked."David."

"Oh yeah. He's a little shaken up but he's heading home, he's fine."

"Any word from Katherine?"Mary Margeret asked.

"Nothing new."

"Did you check with Boston again?"Mary Margeret asked.

"She's not there, Mary Margeret."

"So we have no idea what happened to her?"Mary Margeret asked.

Emma shook her head. "All we know is she found out about you two, gave you a well deserved slap, and then disappeared."

"Well deserved. Do you really believe that?"

Emma shook her head. "No. I'm just preparing you for what everyone else is going to think. You two are going to look bad until we figure the truth out."

"You mean David? That people think in order to be free with me."

Emma nodded. "Some are. But he's not doing himself any favors. So if there's anything you can think of to pin down his whereabouts that night."

"I don't know. He wasn't with me. We..we're through."Mary Margeret paused, spotting Ruby and Whale across the road. "Dr. Whale?"

"Mary Margeret, Emma. Hello there."

"Hey."Mary Margeret said.

"I was just having a talk with Ruby here. I should uh.."Whale started then paused.

Emma nodded. "Ya. You should."

Whale gone,just leaving the three to talk. "Was he bothering you?"Mary Margeret asked.

Ruby shrugged."The day I can't handle a letch, is the day I leave town. I guess that just happens to be today."

"You're leaving?"Emma asked.

"Had a fight with Granny. I quit my job."

"You quit?"Mary Margeret asked."Where are you going?"

"I,I don't know. Away."

"Well buses out of town don't really happen. You might want a destination first." Emma said.

"Hey. If you need a place to figure things out, you could always come home with us."Mary Margeret suggested. "Come on."

"It's you."Mary Margeret was in the woods now, not alone but with David Nolan. "You're ok. Out looking for Katherine too?"

"I'm looking."

"She knows you didn't do anything."Mary Margeret said."Emma, I mean. She can tell when people are lying so she knows. And I'll stand by you and I'll tell everyone this isn't possible. She's going to turn up somewhere. I mean, that's why we're out here right?"