4. sweet

Luca.

I hadn't exactly expected my first day out to end up being stuck at a fucking party.

I hate parties. I'd literally rather have been anywhere else but Everest would've tracked me down if I hadn't shown up so I did, much to my despair.

It reeked of sweat and weed while I sat surrounded by people I didn't care to pay attention to. Ironic that it was my party when I'd spoken little to no words to everyone here barring Everest. The annoying little fuck.

I kept running my fingers along the soft material of my clothes, feeling the contrast to the hoarseness of the beige jumpsuit I'd worn for what felt like an eternity.

Two and a half months went by agonisingly slowly but being around Everest and regular people living regular lives at a high school party, juvie being the farthest thing from their mind makes a part of it all just feel like everything's been normal. Like I left, came back and that's that.

And how after living their lives for two and a half months while mine came to an utter halt, they throw me a party and deem it fitting.

A part of me felt infuriatingly envious. At the dancing girls, the drugged up boys, their naivity and youth, the most of their problems right now being spilling vodka on their clothes.

Guess its the way the world works; you're either plunged into the shitty side or you're in oblivion.

The other part of me knew there was no room to pity myself. I was in juvy for a reason.

"Hey, Luca, dude what was it like in there?" A sandy blonde haired boy piped up with a bright smile. Besides me, Everest stopped and stared at the guy with wide eyes. He winced.

"Who are you?" I leaned back against the refrigerator behind me, the boy swallowing at my tone that wasn't the most welcoming. Everest winced more in anticipation.

"Taylor."

"Well, Taylor, juvenile detention was all sunshine and rainbows. Especially the stabbings. You'd thrive, I'm sure." I said with the flattest yet bitterest tone I could muster and he pulled his face back, shutting up.

"Was that necessary?" Everest raised an eyebrow once Taylor had scurried away. He's smoking a blunt, as always. Everest loved his weed as much as he loved his alcohol.

"I just- um," Ev starts to turn to face me and I already knew what was coming, "I know I've already said it before but I'm sorry. You shouldn't have taken the f-"

"Shut up." I said simply and he did with a little frown on his face that I scowled at. That fucking frown's pissed me off me since we were kids. Stupid, orphaned kids with nobody else.

"Brothers, remember?" I added with a slight roll of my eyes and watched his frown turn upwards. There we go.

"Forever." He smiled wide and grabbed my face, smushing my cheeks together and quickly kissing my forehead before I had time to act. I groaned, shoving him backwards enough for him to stumble. His shoulders jolted in laughter.

"Jackass." I scowled, rubbing away at my forehead.

"You love me, baby." He shrugged with a widely childish smile. I didn't respond asides from the small sneer and long drag of my cigarette I took.