29. lifeline*

{MATURE content. TW: abuse, descriptions of injuries)

Aria.

I took two polaroids with Luca's camera that night. One without him realising, his eyes on the view before us and his face shadowed from the darkness around us. And the second, of our inscription on the ledge.

Turns out, many people before us had come up to sit on the ledge of this very art gallery and engraved all around the stone were initials and names galore. It explained the pens and pencils that lay about the ground once Luca observed all the engravings and brought my attention to it.

Luca picked up a stray pencil and right between where we sat, worked away.

Lu+ Ria

As cheesy as it was, it made the two of us smile thinking about how we had a lasting imprint on this very building now, as minuscule as it was. I snapped my second picture of it and slipped it into the pocket of my jacket.

Eventually and like always, we had to step away from the little bubble Luca and I created and return back to reality once again. But it was okay. We knew we'd be back soon.

I stood in front of the painting of myself once more and let a smile curve up my lips. Malik threw his arm around my shoulder.

"Ready to go, mademoiselle? Or you wanna stare at yourself a little longer- Ow!" He yelped when I elbowed the side of his stomach, folding over as I walked away from him.

"Ready, monsieur." I peered back over my shoulder with a smile, feeling his glare burn through the side of my head.

We'd agreed on staying at a hotel for the night instead of having to make the long drive home. The short drive, however, was excruciating. Mainly because Everest was snoring in my one ear.

I knocked him off me once we'd parked up, his perplexed face blinking around to try and grasp their surroundings only making me cackle as I shoved him out of the door.

Luca's arm hung around my shoulder as we walked into the reception area.

Malik conversed with the woman at the counter while my breathing sharpened, Luca's hand snaking down my back painstakingly slowly. He reached the small of my back and traced circles, languidly, teasingly.

"What are you doing?" I lowered my voice, keeping my gaze forwards.

"Hm?" A smirk edged its way up his lips when I looked up to him, his hand lowering. I grabbed his wrist from moving further.

He leaned down until he was at my ear, whispering, "Am I not allowed to touch whats mine, heartbreaker?"

I crossed my ankles together, trying my very best not to show how flustered his words made me but with Luca, it was practically impossible.

"You'll find I'm gonna want to do it a lot." He continues, "You've signed your fate. No escaping me."

Fuck. I crossed my legs tighter but gave him no reaction on my face.

"What is it, baby?" He smirked, kissing just below my ear, "Something wrong?"

I pulled away from his grasp and walked straight to Malik.

"Key card." I held out my hand for him to give me it now that he had them all. He furrowed his eyebrows, looking over me.

"Are you oka-"

"Malik." I snapped.

He placed the key card in my hand and I made my way towards the elevator, knowing that I wouldn't have to beckon Luca for him to follow.