52. all things luca

From the way nerves were rattling through my stomach, you'd assume I was the one boxing in front of all these people.

I was stood on one of the two balconies, looking down as I watched the crowd drift into the auditorium sort of space. It was big, the ring right in the centre and two balconies up top with plenty of space on the ground too.

Fight day had arrived. A presence materialised by my side and I smiled upon seeing that familiar tattooed hand.

"You following me around now, Willy?" I turned to look up at him and he rolled his eyes.

"He's looking for you and Ty needs him to settle down, not stress out about wherever you are." Duke said down to me, expression as flat as always.

I looked down to all the people filtering in, hearing the noise levels rise and echo against the tall walls. Soon this balcony would be filled too and in an hour or so, we'd know whether Luca or Reed won the fight. From now til then, anything could happen really.

We walked the other way from where the main hall was and towards the dressing rooms, that which were several. We'd passed Reed's, his name on the door on a small silver plate until we reached Luca's.

When I walked in, Luca's head was in his hands, sat on the bench. He shot up and walked over to me once his eyes had set on me, "Where have you been?"

"I just went up to the balcony-"

"Ty and Everest said they fucking saw you nowhere. I went to look for you too." He brushed back my hair, his knuckles already wrapped.

"Was little Lu worried?" I tsked, my hands finding their place on his torso.

"Yes." He huffed, not hesitating to answer at all.

"Cute." I tugged my lips down, "I'm not gonna run, babe. Thought we established that when I you know, kissed you and all."

He rolled his eyes at me, "Stop being a smartass."

"Impossible." I whispered. His forehead touched mine, "You ready?"

"I am now."

The door burst open, making all of our heads turn. Everest rushed in with a grin and arms full of snacks, "Dude! They have food!" He giggled sinisterly, "Hey, Ria."

"Look at all these chocolate bars." He giggled sinisterly, "Hey, Ria."

"Hi Ev."

This time, Hudson wasn't in the dressing room with us and Ev took notice, glancing around before piping up, "Where's Hud?"

"Don't know. Haven't seen him for a while." Luca shrugged, pulling me down onto the bench so I was sat between his legs, back to his chest.

That uneasy feeling settled inside me again. I didn't know how to begin to explain it to Luca. I didn't want it to come across like I'm keeping secrets, but telling Luca wouldn't help. He wouldn't be able to understand. He'd just see another person to fight, to get away from me.

Poker face. Poker face. Poker face.

Miguel's eyes met mine from the spot on the bench opposite us. He raised a slow, amused eyebrow, tilting his head at me just the slightest. I glared, silently telling him to shut up.

I really didn't need Luca finding out about this or even assuming something was up cos if he got one glance at me, he'd probably deduce it with his ridiculously attentive super abilities. He'd already busted Hudson's jaw. Preventing further...damage was my aim.

Everest lay down on the bench besides Miguel and propped his legs up on his lap. Miguel shoved his legs off without much of a blink.

"I swear he said he was coming to this fight." Luca said.