63. angel*

J A N U A R Y

I took down the couple's order and walked back over to the front counter, crossing my forearms on it and smiling at May, who stood behind it. Thankfully, today was a slow day.

"Extra shift?" I asked her and she looked up to me, smiling.

"You know it, baby." She nodded, "Get on over here. Wait on your people over there."

I looked back to the table that Ev, Luca, Hudson and Malik all took up. The rest of them were all immersed in their own conversation asides from Luca, whose eyes remained on me as they had for the past half an hour. His lips quirked up as I turned over my shoulder to meet his eyes.

He didn't hide how he was checking me out. I didn't falter in pretending like it didn't faze me, though my stomach turned all wishy washy at his heated gaze.

"You know they just order waters so they have an excuse to stay longer, right?" May raised her eyebrows at me as I walked around to her.

"I can kick them out if you want. I'd be glad to, actually." I looked up at her, filling up a few glasses and she chuckled.

"No way, baby." She denied, "They're a fun lot to have here every day."

Every day. Without fail.

It was early December when I landed the job at Emerson's kitchen. A couple weeks later, Everest and Luca had snagged a job at The Lake Cafè alongside Hudson.

I'd be lying if I said, asides from the questionable uniform and the occasional bitchy customer, that I didn't love it here. May and some of the other elderly ladies were surprisingly fun company. I worked most days after school and weekends so they'd become some of the people I spent most of my time with. As well as Val and her sisters.

Though I spent a lot of my time working, it didn't mean I saw Luca any less.

After each of their shifts, Everest and Luca walked right over to Emerson's Kitchen as it resided only a couple blocks away from the Cafè. The back booth had become their spot.

They spent their days here even if they had earlier shifts, waiting until I was done too.

Everest always leaning against the counter; he was quick to become best friends with May. Luca always attempting to steal me away for a few moments. It proved impossibly difficult to pay attention to actually doing my job when they were around. Those two together are the definition of distraction.

Especially Lu.

When I could feel his gaze as I waited on tables. When he'd pull me towards him every time I passed him, kissing the curve of my neck or mumbling on about when my next break would be. We'd snuck away to the small storage room far too many times to count. This uniform was way too damn inappropriate and short. Gave him easy access.

And May was definitely aware of what went on in there.

Especially when she'd caught us as we had stumbled out one time, our laughs lingering in the air as Luca adjusted my skirt and tried to pull me back to him. We stopped dead in our tracks when we turned around and May stood with a hand on her hip and an eyebrow raised.

Before we could fumble an excuse, she waved us off with a knowing smirk and said to save it, as long as we don't break anything in there.

We'd accidentally broken a set of unopened plates in there only half an hour ago.

Which explained why him looking at me was making me all riled up. He dragged his gaze over the waitress skirt and the short shirt, which I now knew how much he liked. Seeing as though he whispered it against my neck whilst ripping them off.