6. amalfi coast

Anxiety is bad enough on its own for it to come with feeling dizzy and sick half the time.

Now, there was a massive wave of it surging through my gut. It was later in the day but I still couldn't shake the flashback of that morning. I couldn't seem to get it out of my head.

"RIA ALAYNA ROMANO!" Everest yelled now and I snapped out of my reverie.

"When I'm fourty and deaf in both ears, I'm sending you my medical bills." I scowled, "Why do you scream?"

"Because you're not fucking listening." He said back, leaning against the lockers as I was. A cap was over his messy blonde hair, hands dug in the centre pocket of his hoodie. Everest always looked like the picture of recklessness. As if he's about to blow something up, or flirt with you.

"That shouldn't come as a surprise to you."

"Precious as always, heartbreaker." He winked.

In response to the nickname that made my skin itch with the need to punch somebody, I smiled a bitter smile that he just frowned at.

"What are you doing after school?" He asked, pulling out a bag of cheese puffs and opening them. I had to hold back a gag at the smell of them that flooded my nostrils much more strongly than usual.

"Flying away on my magic carpet." I said between my yawns. Everest stared at me dryly, used to the random remarks.

He started talking again, jabbering on and on as Everest always did. After a while, you got used to zoning out the little conversations Everest had with himself. He's like a kid. Entertains himself most of the time.

I leaned my head back against the lockers, shutting my eyes. My body wanted to sit, lurch forward or just sleep but I forced myself to remain upright.

"Hey." Malik's hand ruffled up my hair as they appeared besides us now. I tensed at his voice, not having spoken to him since I stormed out like a child in the morning.

I kept my eyes shut. If your eyes are shut, you don't have to confront it. Nobody's there. Woah, look at all this.. blackness. Interesting. Why am I seeing spots? Uh oh. Okay, open your eyes.

I opened them and was met with him already looking at me, suppressing a smile.

"I'm sorry. You didn't do anything. I.." I paused, almost slipping up, "Enjoy your presence and feel much appreciation for you."

"Was that your way of telling me you love me?" He pouted.

"Take it or leave it." I shutmy eyes again.

"Time to profess your undying love to me." Ev leaned his head against my temple, sidling up to me with a taunt in his voice.

"I can knee you in the balls, I have easy access right now." I whispered to him sweetly and he dropped his arm from my shoulder and stepped to the side. I smiled.

A new voice made its way to my ears. A very unwelcome, high pitched one that I very suddenly wanted to walk away, out the doors and home, from. No. Fucking slit my throat.

"Guys! We have Spanish next. Maybe you can get in Mrs Andreas' good books for once, Aria." Victoria smiled wide, wedging her way between Malik and Everest.

"Don't you think she's so sweet? Such a good teacher!" She gushed, running a hand down Everest's arm.

"Yes, misogyny is a delightful quality." I murmured underneath my breath. Malik snorted. I opened my eyes and raised an eyebrow at him as if to ask what was fucking funny about that. He dropped his smile.