13. friends

"He looks big." Benj tugged his lips down.

"No he doesn't." I furrowed my eyebrow.

"Yes he- well maybe not. I'm still quite short." He shrugged, throwing his hands up and I snorted out a laugh.

He was crouched in front of Myra, talking with a smile and even from where I was stood, I could make his curly brown head of hair.

As me and Benj got closer, I picked up on how he looked only a few years younger than me.

Once we were standing besides him, both his and Myra's attention turned to us. I'd only had the side profile of his face but now looking at him head on, I had a clearer view of his features. Bright hazel eyes, loose curls in his hair and sharp cheekbones that made him look older than I'd assumed.

When he stood up, he stood taller than me.

"Hey Myra." I said first, smiling down at her. She stood herself up, wrapping me up in a tight hug and swaying us back and forth.

"Missed you, angel. Was wondering when you were bound to show up." She pressed a kiss to my cheek, grasping my shoulders.

Benji quickly turned to the boy standing besides us, "Who are you?"

"Benj." I whispered, nudging his arm.

"Oh- sorry. Ria said I should say hi to people first. Hi." He paused for a second, "Who are you?" He smiled bright and wide, bouncing from the tips of his toes onto the heels of his feet.

The boy looked down at him and crouched down so he was level to his height. His resting face was intimidating without meaning to but when he cracked a smile, that completely disappeared.

"Hey to you too, buddy. I'm Miguel." He outstretched a hand for him to shake.

Benji looked up to me in question of whether he should take it. I smiled, tilting my head in a gesture for him to go ahead.

Benji slapped his hand against Miguel's, shaking it with excited vigour. Miguel cracked a laugh at his excitement and then stood up so he was level with me.

"Miguel's a sweet, sweet boy. Helped me out the other day." Myra inputted as me and him held eye contact for a moment.

"Do I get your name, beautiful?" He raised an eyebrow, his tone playful - a playfulness that felt all too familiar when his lips tugged upwards and a dimple popped out.

"Beautiful?" I raised a sharp eyebrow.

He blinked back at me for a second.

"British?" He tilted his head, intrigue in his eyes.

"Australian." I answered dryly.

He rolled his lips into his mouth, suppressing a smile. His gaze flicked to the beanie atop my head and his eyebrows furrowed instantly, narrowing his eyes as if he wasn't seeing it correct. He leaned forwards, inspecting it.

"Do tell your name. Grant me the privilege." He feigned a swoon and I felt my own lips tug upwards at the humour.

"Aria."