68. promised

I always knew I wasn't much of a patient nor gentle person. From youth, I was always a little snappy when things didn't go my way. Sarcasm has always been my friend. I can go a little nuts when I need to protect the ones I love.

I always knew that when emotions overcome me, I don't tend to see straight. I knew all that but I didn't have a game plan nor did I really know what I was going to do when we pulled up outside Hudson's house.

I'd never been to his house before. Never knew anything about the people who adopted him nor did I know much about his childhood, asides from his past in ice hockey that he never talks about.

What I didn't expect was the amount of people spewing out of the house, the music booming from the inside.

And Everest was thinking similarly to me, telling from the hard set of his jaw and his knuckles that had turned white from where they'd gripped the steering wheel.

A fucking party?

Before Ev could get a word out, I was pulling open the door and stepping out without shutting it behind me, a newfound sense of anger within me. He thinks its fitting to throw a fucking rager right now? Oh, if I didn't want to strangle him before.

I was pushing past all the people of the porch, not taking much notice of how wealthy this house actually was. Especially when I stepped inside and took in the large expanse, the modern and lavish interior plagued by masses of dancing people and strobing lights.

I could feel Ev shadowing my every move like he's always done at any party I attend. Usually, groups would practically tackle him as soon as he walked in the door. He's the town's party monster that everyone waits for at parties like these.

Now, nobody was pestering him. And when I looked back to him, it didn't take a genius to figure out why. Towering behind me, he didn't look to be in the mood of partying or speaking to anybody at all. Eyes dark and hood up, the sole intent of accompanying me.

I felt a body tackle mine and had to relax before I threw whoever this was off me. When I looked down, however, I made out the blonde head of hair and when Val looked up to me with drunken happy eyes, I calmed.

"Ria! I was-" She burped. I grimaced. She flushed red and then she burst into a fit of giggles, "I was just gonna call you and ask if you were coming! I miss you, I always miss you." She nuzzled into me like a puppy seeking comfort.

Despite myself, I wrapped my arms around the drunken puppy and sighed, "I see you tried alcohol for the first time."

"And it's great." She broke out into laughter once more, "Like seriously! Why would you ever not wanna be drunk? Can you get drunk with me? I wanna be hot with you. I saw a girl like-" She pulled back with wide eyes, "Like take a shot off a girl's stomach and it was so hot. Do that with me. Please. I'd die."

"Some other time." I said over the pounding music, "And it's called a body shot." I add absently, craning my neck in search of a certain tall, tattooed fucking idiot.

"Have you seen Hudson?" I asked her and she scowled instantly at the sound of his name. It's been noted that the two don't get along, which was surprising because Valencia Emerson got along with everyone.

"Ew, no. He's probably revving his stupid motorbike somewhere." She cringed, "Why- oh hey, Ev!"

Everest snapped out of the daze he was in. It was like he hadn't comprehended the party around him at all, lost in his own mind since he walked through my door.

"Hey, sweetheart." He cleared his throat.

"You have a great face, Everest Jones. It is true. Sweet Jesus. Very kissable and someone-" She waved a hand in a general direction, "Told me you have a massive di-"