64. instinct

M A R C H
3 months until graduation.

Me, Everest and Malik had always skipped out on every school dance throughout high school. Instead of boring ourself into existence, we'd meet up and smoke a joint in a car park. That was our tradition.

Of course, not the case for Benji. Or Elena, whose dance was tonight.

Everything had been going good recently. My final AP Biology exam was just last week and I had a feeling I'd aced it. I'd studied hard for it between hours working at the diner and school itself. Luca had busied and distracted Benji so I could study whenever I could and I'd been grateful.

Soon, I had an interview with Lana for the nursing scheme and I wanted my transcript to look as good as possible before then. Even if I might end up having to deny if we don't make ends meet, I still wanted to secure a place just in case we did.

The days had all blurred together because of how busy it'd all been. Busting my ass at the diner and then waking up early the next morning and making sure Benji's up for school.

It'd be worth it in the end. When I'll get an apartment in the city of dreams with my best friends. Studying what I've always wanted to. The work will pay off.

I hadn't had a night of fun in a while, which was honestly quite a shitty thing to recognise. It was senior year, I should probably be taking advantage of it more.

And the one night of fun we would have was gonna be an elementary/middle school dance. Riveting.

Elena's middle school and Benji's elementary school were of the same board, small schools situated literally opposite the street from each other. So for their spring formal, the two schools were coming together. I'd initially opted to stay at home, wanting to get ahead on Calculus but Benji insisted.

So, me and Benji sat on the porch and waited for Everest to pull up. All of the guys were going and god, was I excited to see their interactions with Elena. They'd promised they'd be there and neither of them broke their promises.

So the hot trio of Kilned - I'd been told they were labelled, a little dramatic if you were to ask me - were making their way to an elementary school dance. For a little girl and her twin that had them wrapped around their fingers over these past months.

I wore an appropriate, pretty black dress that cinched around my waist but was loose and fluttery around my knees. Me and Benji had deliberated and decided that fancy shoes are useless so my converse did the job.

He sidled up to me closer and picked at the daises that grew besides the porch, his suit adorable. Spring had dawned on us in full bloom so the sun just beginning to set. The air was breezy and had a perfect warmth to it.

"Is it cool? I want to see all the big buildings and stuff. Like the empire state." He twirled the daisy in his hands. We'd been talking about New York.

"I'll take you to see it all. Central park and the statue of liberty. Anywhere you want." I looked down to him and a wonderful smile split his lips, lighting up his brown eyes under his big glasses.

Our attention shifted however to the honking of a lengthy and loud horn, echoing through the streets. I furrowed my eyebrows and stood up, taking Benji's hand as we hopped down the porch steps. We looked out to the corner of our street, just as the vehicle turned.

I sighed. Just as Benji yelped in joy at the sight of it and the three idiots inside it.

There is no way.

Luca was in the drivers seat and made a display of revving the engine as he ripped down the street, skidding to a stop right in front of us. Black sunglasses covered his eyes and his suit jacket was slung over his one shoulder, his dark hair dishevelled.