46. heartbeat*

"What'd you mean he said it was a surprise?" Val asked for the fiftieth time.

"Do you want me to give you the definition of a surprise?" I asked, breathing out the smoke of my cigarette.

"How did he say it? What was his tone like? Insinuating or casual or excited-"

"I don't know, Val. You're stressing me out." I ran my hands over my eyes.

"Well, good! You should be stressed. What if he's taking you out for an expensive, boujee dinner? He is rich. And you're in one of your old ass t-shirts." She exclaimed and I frowned, looking down to my t-shirt.

"Don't talk bad about my t-shirts." I murmured but she didn't hear me, standing up and yanking my arms up with her.

God, I hoped he wasn't taking me out to dinner. I hated things like dinner. The atmosphere makes me uncomfortable, it feels all too formal and when I'm not comfortable, I'm not myself.

"Come on, we're going to get dressed-"

"No. I'm not going all out-" I started to warn.

"Fine. Not all out but for the love of god, at least make it better than what you've got going on right now, bug." She waved a hand around my body and now I glared at her.

She tugged me up the stairs until we reached my room. She flung open the doors to my closet and was rifling through it in no time while I lay back on my bed, letting the smoke gather in my throat for a moment before exhaling.

Benji had vacated from my room. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss seeing him tucked up in my duvet but that was a little dramatic, seeing as though he was in the room literally opposite me.

It was a medium-sized guest room, a little smaller than mine. Right now, all it contained was a comfortable bed, a closet and a lovesack. But I assured Benj that we'd decorate it to his liking soon. He was fast asleep, it being nine pm after the long day.

There was approximately three hours until I turned eighteen. And in around ten minutes, Luca would be waiting outside for me, with no context or information at all. Asides from its a surprise, don't kill me.

"What about this?" She pulled out a lacy top that was so small and thin it just about cupped my tits and that was all. I'd so wear it but it was too cold tonight.

"Sure," I shrugged, "If you want me to die of hypothermia."

"This?" She pulled out a full on dress, one that would reach my ankles and was way too formal. The last time I wore that was a wedding.

"It's not a gala, Val." I said and she huffed, turning back to the clothes.

She pulled out my black sundress, the one Luca had also pulled out earlier today. Admittedly, it was really pretty. It reached my mid thighs and was the perfect mix of hot and elegant.

She held the dress out for me, tilting her head in question of whether I approved. I threw my legs over the edge of the bed and lifted myself up lazily, skipping over to her.

I flung open the wardrobe doors a little wider, "Something's missing." I hummed, scanning my gaze over the clothes.

I smiled when finding my black and white flannel, ragged and baggy and a little ripped but I loved how it looked on me. I held it up with a smile and Val fought back her grimace.

She sent me a pointed look, "You're not gonna budge, are you?"

"Nope." I swiftly took the clothing items from her hands and made my way to the adjoined bathroom, not bothering to lock the door as I stripped.