《T H I R T Y - O N E》

《CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE》

《WARNINGS: MENTIONS OF DRUG USE, MENTIONS OF !ATTEMPTED SUICIDE!》

      "YUUJI! DON'T BE AN asswipe, give it back!”

“Not until you say please.”

“Why do you always do this?! Stop moving your arm up!”

“It’s not my fault that you’re short,”

“Yuu, you’re such a jerk,” Gen said, snatching the shirt from his hands to give it to Kugisaki. 

“It’s my shirt!” The latter exclaimed. Kugisaki took it from Gen, holding it to her chest. 

“But it’ll match my outfit for today. You and Satoru steal my skirts all the time so shut the hell up,” She huffed, turning to walk back to her room. Itadori rolled his eyes, leaning against the counter in the kitchen. Gen leaned across from him, his arms folded over his chest. 

“What’s the matter?” Itadori asked, making the faux blonde look up. Itadori noticed that Gen’s roots were starting to go dark again. He wondered if he would let his natural color come back rather than dye it again. 

“Just...everything,” Gen replied quietly. Itadori could see the bags staining under his eyes. 

“I’m sorry about your mother, Gen,” He said. 

“Don’t be,” He said, pushing off the counter as he walked to the sliding glass doors, opening one of them to let the warm air in. “My mom was a piece of shit.”

Gen jerked his head outside, silently inviting him out. Itadori followed him outside, pulling the door shut as he did. There was a small porch that overlooked the side of the mountain, and the city down below. Nearing midday, the temperatures were warming, unlike the cold weather they were used to in Japan. 

Gen leaned against the railing, folding his hands in front of him. Itadori stared at his face, noting the small things. The very light freckles that dusted his face; they must only come out when the sun is just right because Itadori has never seen them before. The way the sun hit his eyes made the shade of green look like the limes that were sitting on the counter before they walked outside. 

“When I first met Y/n,” Gen said, snapping Itadori from his thoughts. “I asked her to take me to my apartment because I was afraid that my mom was going to do something stupid while I was gone. I just...she seemed like she was getting better, and she wasn’t relying on the drugs so much. It felt like the mom I had before my step-dad was coming back, and I didn’t want to ruin that. But because I wanted to go check on her, I started what felt like a whole fucking war. Sukuna attacked Y/n. My grandfather attacked Shota and Y/n. You, Megumi, and Nobara were busting your asses trying to protect everyone, and I just stood there like a fucking idiot.”