《T H I R T Y - F O U R》

《CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR》

《WARNINGS: BLOOD, BLOOD, BLOOD, GORE, ANGST》

       SUDDENLY, IT FELT LIKE time had stopped.

Gojo's eyes widened, hollow purple dying out in his palms. Leviathan vanished into a sliver of shadows, making Itadori wrap an arm around Gen as they both dropped to their feet on the ground below. Kugisaki lowered her weapon, her lips parting. Fushiguro stopped her from moving forward.

The fires surrounding them vanished. The heat in the air lowered, allowing the cool breeze to blow what was left of the weak flames out. Silence filled the air; not even the sound of the ocean could be heard. Everything went still.

Neoma turned her gaze downwards, her eyes going wide. Her gaze fell upon the body of her younger brother, her lips parting in shock. Her face twisted with pain, eyebrows lacing in distress.

Shota's eyes had glossed over, the milky film taking over the silver color. His lips were parted, stained red by his own blood, which left streaks from the corner of his mouth, down his jaw, and to pool under him. His left hand was over his stomach, tainted red. His hand slipped down, falling beside him, his palm facing up. His shirt was torn, and it was hard to distinguish between his blood and his body. From the wound, some of his internal organs were visible, and his white shirt was soaked red, and more blood pooled under him.

His left hand was over his throat, holding onto something there. Upon further inspection, Neoma could see a ball-chain necklace. She shakily dropped onto her knees, reaching for whatever he was holding onto. Her hands shook as she pulled the necklace from under his shirt. She placed the golden heart into her palm, slowly opening it.

With his last ounce of strength, Shota had reached for the necklace. The necklace held a heart-shaped locket. And in that locket, there were two photos. On the left side, she recognized the picture of Naomi, brightly smiling. On the other side, a picture of Gen resided.

Neoma slowly brought her hand back, flicking her gaze to his lifeless eyes. Her body trembled and she reached for his face. She lifted his body, her throat closing at the way his head lolled over her arm, his black hair hanging in the air.

"S-Shota..?" She whispered. "H-Hey now...I-I didn't mean it. C'mon. Use y-your reversal.."

Her words died in her throat as she pressed two fingers to his neck. His skin was beginning to feel cool. The panic set into her.

"Sh-Shota?! W-Wake up! This isn't funny! I didn't mean to hurt you! I was o-only trying to scare you! H-Hey! Shota! Shota?!"

She lifted her head, turning to Gojo. Desperation washed over her face. Her eyes welled with tears.

"I-I di-didn't mean to--!" She looked back down at him.

"D-Dad..?"

Neoma looked up. Gen was slowly walking towards them, his feet dragging along the concrete. Itadori was too shocked to grab him, and no one else dared to touch him.