Chapter 39 - Rescued?

"Please Dabi." I begged, "Just one more." He groans at my impatient whining, chucking another blanket onto the pile already resting around my cocooned frame.

It is cold in this room, and colder in the rest of the asylum. Winter came overnight, I was awoken to Dabi undoing the cuffs I was bound by. After an argument on getting some warmer clothes and opting to swaddling me beneath many blankets ensured, Dabi explained the situation.

"The Boss took on All Might, and Bakugou was rescued by the pros." I feel no relief knowing this so Dabi continues, "Phase 3 of the plan in starting now."

"What's phase three?" I ask curiously, watching Dabi at the other end of the couch. He smirks.

"Wouldn't you like to know.."

"I would actually." I shoot back, tried and frustrated. Being held hostage is overwhelming. Dabi sighs, shaking his head.

Fine.

I fiddle with my fingers knowing sleep will be impossible whilst he's here.

"Is there a - nevermind." I bite my tongue again, deciding against embarrassing myself any further. Dabi chuckles.

"What's the matter, Princess?" He tilts his head, eyes narrowing. I stare at the grain on the floorboards, ignoring him and the growing pressure in my abdomen. Dabi scoots over, so his warm fingers are tracing my abdomen teasingly. I glare at him and he raises an eyebrow quizzically. He drops his hands to his side an speaks.

"Bathroom is down the hall, second door on the left." I struggle from my blanket heaven when he warns me once more, "Five minutes and then I'm knocking the door down." I scamper through the doorway, heading directly to my exit. I find the room, locking the deadbolt after trapping myself in the all too familiar room.

When I was younger, the doctor on a Wednesday afternoon would let me use this room for hygienic purposes such as brushing my teeth and using the toilet. I remember that privilege was taken away when the doctor was killed by another patient. Then I got more brutal specialists as a replacement. The room was still dingy and small, but one thing had changed.

The window was open.

After barricading the door shut with the sink and reliving my aching bladder into the probably not sanitary toilet, I carefully climb from the window and onto the narrow ledge two stories high. It seems higher here but the loud thumping on the door behind me suggests that time is up. I close my eyes before throwing myself off the ledge.

I hit the ground hard, a snapping noise in my shoulder alerts me of damage before the pain hits. In this amount of pain, it was clear I wasn't using my quirk for a while. I gasp for air, crawling into the overgrown marsh surrounding the building. I look back at this building, waiting for the flow of painful memories to find none. I see this empty building and think of my father and the empty halls, Dabi holding me in a soft embrace and honey coloured wood and I feel a pang of wistfulness. This is the live I've chosen, I remind myself, the life filled with hard work and brightly coloured costumes. I can't choose the same path as my father, he knows that.

This is why He did this, I realise, He wants me to be a hero. He remade memories here, ones with less fear so that I can have a shot at a future. One day I'll find All for One and thank him, but only once I've sorted out the mess that is my life. I try to stand with great agony, so I assess the damage. Sore ribs, bruised knees, broken shoulder, raging headache and a growling stomach. Not bad for a hostage.

After walking for an hour at a slow and treacherous pace I find myself surrounded by small dirty shops and cramped apartment buildings. I stare down at my opaque hospital gown and shudder, carefully observing the street before hastily running into a brightly lit grocery store. The cashier gawks at my state, probably staring at my lack of undergarments or quantity of scars. Or the mad case of bedhead I'm rocking, along with the bloodied bone sticking out of my left shoulder.