Chapter 9

"Thanks Kiddo." Zawa hums, pulling me into a quick hug before trudging off to the staffroom, leaving me in the dangerously quiet halls of UA with nothing but crippling anxiety and a grocery list. My head thrums dully, reminding me that teleportation would be a bad idea anytime soon. I groan before starting the walk to the grocery store, a couple blocks from UA.

Its a gorgeous day outside, not too warm but cold enough to wear jeans, the lack of wind also allows me to leave my hair down. These days are my favourite because the less skin I show means not as many people see how fucked up I am.

I cross the busy street without difficulty, waving to Ilya behind the counter.
"Good Morning Y/N." He smiles at me from across the room, his teeth pearly white.
"How are you, Ilya?" I ask, out of interest not politeness. Ilya has this incredible life due to his many adopted kids either working for heroes or villains, which usually results with him caught in the crossfire.
"Misa stopped by the house yesterday, trying to get me to let her 'rob' the store," Ilya shakes his head, "Apparently she needs to prove her worth to this League of Villain people, I told her to actually prove herself and not be a liar.  She makes a wonderful criminal so I can't STAND to see her fake her way into the elites." He sighs sadly, wheeling his chair over to keep me company whilst I shop. I stifle a giggle.
"How is the treatment going?" I question, eyeing his one good leg apprehensively.
"Got an amputation scheduled in a month." He responds casually, like it wasnt an issue that he wouldnt have any legs by the end of the year.
"I'm Sorry?" I awkwardly manage to speak, shoving a bag of rice into the basket. He chuckles.
"I'm not bothered. It was a piece of crap anyway, now ill just drop a couple pounds instead." Ilya winks at me and I finally laugh.
"How is your Dad?" Ilya asks me as I muse over vegetables.
"He was late to the meeting again." I say, watching as Ilya gasps, feigning outrage.
"Did you drop him off again?" I nod, "Parents these days."

Once I've paid for the groceries ,  I thank Ilya and trudge up the hill back to UA.