Chapter Twenty Nine- Defenses

The Barren Land was exactly how Eboni had imagined. The scrolls and texts had not lied when they said it was devoid of everything. Waves crashed and tumbled over the broken and jagged rocks that made the land infamous.

Tying the small rowboat to a protruding rock they all sat still, gazing out to the place they planned to end the war on.

"What now?" Iasa asked, looking dubiously out to the lack of anywhere to stand on.

Kas stood up, rocking the boat as he strode out onto the nearest rock.

"I got this." Rolling his shoulders and flexing his hands in anticipation.

"Brother." Atu said wearily as though he knew something she didn't. "Don't show off."

Kas rolled his eyes- turning his back to his brother before opening the vile of earth around his neck.

Eboni gasped as the earth flew from the vile and multiplied in front of her eyes.

In a matter of moments, the barren. Jagged rocks had been blanketed in a thick layer of dense fertile earth.

She stood up on the boat that was still bobbing on the ocean, climbing out to stand by Kas's side finding a better view of how vast the land they would be calling home until the fight was over was.

Looking up to Kas she saw him smiling happily down at her, a sparkle in his eye she couldn't translate.

"Green." He said.

"What?" Eboni replied, confused.

Kas looked back to the brown earth that filled their vision. "This land, it needs green." As he spoke, blades of grass sprouted from the ground, turning from a light fresh green and into a deep luscious emerald.

"Beautiful." She whispered.

"Yes." She heard Kas mumble beside her.

A shriek broke them both from their trance. Turning to the boat they found Iasa gripping the sides tightly as it rocked dangerously side to side, Orlan and Kimi having apparently stepped out at the same time leaving the rowing boat unbalanced.

Bren stepped off slowly before offering his hand down to the Princess. She gladly accepted, hugging herself close to him as they joined Eboni and Kas to look out across the land.

"What comes next?" Kimi asked.

The group stood in silence as they contemplated what to do.

"I guess we need somewhere to live until the Dark Ones get here." Rays suggested.

"I can do that too." Kas said, stepping forward, raising his hand towards the middle of the land.

The earth rumbled beneath their feet as they all looked on in awe- a tower rising from the ground, growing until it seemingly touched the clouds.

Eboni gazed up in wonder. The circular walls were made of dark grey stone, ivy and small white flowers sprouted from the earth, winding and curling their way around the walls.

She counted seven floors, the top two of which were open to the sky providing the perfect lookout to sea.

Atu nodded his head in satisfaction. "A perfect defence tool when it comes to the fight."

Raus too walked forward, rolling his shoulders before placing his hands on the ground. "I can improve the defences." He murmured.

The ground shook again beneath their feet, only this time the earth and rock sunk into the ground, creating a perfect circle surrounding the tower. The vast cavity filling with water, creating a barrier between the land and the tower. Raus turned to the others, a wide, almost boastful smile gracing his lips as he watched them, waiting for their reaction.