Chapter Seven- Escape

He couldn't sleep. Every time he shut his eyes he had an overwhelming desire to open them again. Bren had ended up sitting at his window overlooking the town and port. High up on the mountain side he had a clear view across the land. He had spent the past few hours staring out to sea lost in his thoughts.

The last time the King had come to God's land he had been eight- and the Princess had stayed home.

Smirking, he remembered the look of utter fury the Princess had shown towards Eboni, when she had stepped in to prevent the Temple from burning to the ground.

He could have kissed his friend when she created a light show. A completely unnecessary show of power, but what an amazing show it was. The look of horror on the Princess's face and the smug smirk that had been wiped off the Kings pudgy lips had brought a flickering smile to every Brother and Sister in the Temple- Everyone apart from the High Priestess and himself who had both blatantly grinned.

He scowled as he recalled the Princess's distain at becoming a member of whatever team was being formed here. Not that he or Eboni relished the thought of being in her company either.

There was no denying that the Princess was beautiful. Her tanned skin, long blonde hair and blue eyes was typical of the people in Rolezal, especially in royalty. She was completely different to Eboni in every way.

Eboni too was strikingly beautiful, with pale white skin, long raven black hair and bright light green eyes. But she was kind, loving, generous and thoughtful. Plus, she could actually control her power. The many lessons with the High Priest and Priestess growing up had contributed to that fact. Hours upon hours of meditation, control and physical exercises- the latter of which he had enjoyed more than her- had formed a bond between the two of them no man could break. Though he had no power of his own, he had done the lessons with Eboni, staying by her side for support.

A wave of uneasiness swept over him as he glanced up to the sky. The moon was hidden behind a never-ending cloud. It was dark. Too dark.

Looking back down to the port he watched curiously as a black mist crept across the shore and up through the city. The hair on his arms stood to attention.

Something wasn't right.

Sure enough, one by one the lights in the city below flickered out, leaving the land completely shrouded in darkness.

The only light was a solitary dot moving closer and closer to the port as though following the mist that was now beginning to wrap around the mountain.

Jumping out of his chair he raced to his trunk and pulled out a telescope.

After positioning it on the windows ledge he peered through, aiming the lens on the ball of light now stationary on the dock.

It was a small boat, carrying twelve hooded figures, all whom swiftly climbed out of the boat before sweeping up the dock.

Why wasn't anyone stopping them? He wondered, watching as the glided past a group young men who didn't even give them a second glance- They were all too busy grabbing at their eyes and walking, their hands outstretched as though they were blind. They didn't notice the mist that had wrapped around them and then proceeded through the streets.

They can't see it- or anything.

The though occurred to him as he followed the cloaked figured with his lens.

Magic.

He sucked in a sharp breath. Dark magic. Without a second thought, he grabbed his white priests cloak and sprinted through the halls. There was only one group of people he knew about that could perform such dark magic.