Chapter Thirty Eight- Darkness

A Giant wave as tall as the tower itself rose from the ocean and crashed into the shore on the other side of the island. Eboni saw it drag many Dark Ones out to sea. Raus was still fighting. The knowledge that Drar was out there still and wreaking havoc on someone else was not an easy thought.

Looking over to Kas she knew he was thinking the same thing, his eyes searching frantically over the land in search no doubt for his brother. They had been fighting for what seemed an age but in reality, not very long. In that time if she had faced death, so could the others.

A tornado sprung up, spinning wildly, winding into the clouds before dropping those it carried to the ground in a crumpled heap. Atu was still fighting.

A Dark One ran at her, the impact from the blow sending her tumbling to the floor winded and groaning. An arrow pierced the man's heart before he could inflict any more damage.

"Are you ok?" Kas asked, helping her up before caressing her side where the impact had been to check for wounds.

"I'm fine, just a bruise." She said, sending a bolt of energy over Kas's shoulder to a Dark One who had raised his sword on his turned back.

From the corner of her eye she spotted Arianna circling two Dark Ones, her untrained hand holding her sword high as she waited for them to make their move. Eboni sent daggers encased in energy flying, the men dropping at Arianna's feet. Looking up relieved she found Eboni looking at her through the crowd. Nodding thankfully, before running off into the battle once more.

A cry of anguish and pain rocked through the air. Twirling around she saw Kas taking off running towards where a tornado had once been.

Atu.

She ran after him, her mind picturing what horrible scene might lay before her when she reached his side.

Kas got there first. A group of Sher Wood warriors surrounding their figures on the floor, bows and staffs raised in defence of their fallen Chief.

Pushing her way through she knew it was bad.

Atu was lying on the floor, his staff broken in two discarded by his side. Face bloody. A gash stretching from his left temple, across his eye, nose, mouth stopping just above his jaw.

"Hush, brother. Don't speak." Kas said gingerly, cradling his head in his lap.

"You're Ok. Don't worry Kas, he is going to be ok." Eboni's words reassuring herself more than anyone else.

Atu opened his mouth, a barely lucid jumble of words escaping before his good eye shut and he fell into a slumber.

"No. Wake up. Wake up!" Kas cried out, shaking his brother's shoulders, his own tears washing away the blood that ran from his brother's wounds.

"Move! Move!" A woman's voice cried from the outside of the Warriors protective circle.

A Sher Wood warrior and a Sister of God's Land rushed to their sides. Their grim faces not helping reassure Kas that his brother would be alright.

"We need to get him to a bed in the tower, I can look after him properly from there." The Warrior said.

"Get your men to carry him, Warrior Kas." The Sister instructed, prying his hands from his brother.

"You heard them! Move him!" Kas ordered. His voice commanding, but wavering with worry and grief. He started to walk to the tower, Eboni stopping him by grabbing his wrist like he had done to her.

"They have got him Kas, you can do nothing more. Fight." She said.

Having both Earth and Wind out of the battle would be a detriment to their cause, she only prayed that Kas too would see that.

He stood and watched as his brother was hoisted up onto the shoulders of his men, before turning back to her and nodding.

"Let's go and find the others, make sure they are ok?" She asked, hoping to distract him.

Nodding, he turned on his heel, running off into the battle to find the others before he changed his mind.

Eboni set off after him after sending a last glace over to the group of Sher Wood fighters who were hacking away the Dark Ones hoping to kill their Chief while he was in such a perilous state.

As she ran, jumping over discarded swords that protruded from the ground. A blur of black caught her eye.

Stopping she looked around for what had made her stop.

Her eyes landed on the tower, in the middle of the land, still standing tall and strong, protecting Bren, his mind and soul working hard to keep the blindness away.

There, at the entrance were a group of ten Dark Ones. They were looking around, making sure they hadn't been seen before disappearing inside.

Her heart stopped.

They had guessed where Bren was. It was the only reason they would go inside.

Looking back to where she had last seen Kas, she began to panic. He was long gone in search of the others. It would take too long to go and find him and tell him what was happening. By then his brother would be in the tower as well. The Dark Ones would not only have access to Bren, but also to Atu.

She knew what she had to do though did not like it.

Taking off running, A wave of energy clearing her path of her opponents who were all still frantically fighting. She ran towards the tower, racing across the bridge and flew into the hall.

Palms raised, quivering with adrenaline and anticipation.

It was empty.

Looking back to the battle field she saw the convoy that held Atu edging closer. She needed to move fast.

The Dark Ones were climbing the stairs. Getting closer and closer to their target and her only true family. She didn't need to think about the consequences as she began her sprint up the stairs.

Hearing chatter she slowed, her breathing laboured as she neared her enemy.

Peeking around the wall on the third floor she saw half of the group. They were stood still, waiting and watching the stairs and out of the windows.

Guards.

The other five would be getting closer and closer to Bren. She recalled a conversation she had with Orlan when they were planning their attacks. If you can ambush. Ambush quietly, you never know who may be listening.

If she killed these men the others who were only a few stories above her would hear. Leaving Bren in even more danger.

Looking down at her palms she closed her eyes, connecting with the energy around her. She could sense the energy in the air and expanding her mind out she could sense the energy of the Dark Ones close to her. She could picture where they were, the movements they made. They stood, waiting at the bottom of the stairs just around the wall from where she stood.

Slowly she began to pull at their energy, their life force, willing it into the air, the air around her crackling for her ears only. Silently she drained their lives away. The only sound that she had been successful in her endeavour the sound of five bodies crumpling to the floor.

After peeking back around the wall, she moved quickly, ignoring the bodies to ascend the last few staircases. She didn't have the time to process her actions, not now.

Stopping, she heard the last of the group of Dark Ones murmuring on the floor below Bren's.

She had made it in time. They were yet to find and break down the wall that protected her brother.

She slunk around the wall of the tower, listening out for the Dark Ones to make their move while looking out of the windows and down onto the battle field to watch the fight unfold.

High Priest Jon and the other Brothers and Sisters, along with the armies behind them were holding themselves quite well. Better than she thought they would what with them being a peaceful group of people, but she knew that when faced with the people who wanted to end their existence and everything they stood for, peacefulness was no longer an option.