Chapter Eight- Experiments

"I killed them." Eboni whispered again, trying to come to terms with what she had just done.

"You had to Eboni, they would have killed us all otherwise." Bren ran a comforting hand across her shoulders and she sighed, wiping the tears from her cheeks.

The first lesson they had ever been taught at the temple was the importance of life and how no one should decide who lives and who dies. She had just killed 3 men. Bren was sure it would haunt her forever.

"Let's go" she said pulling the group forward, refusing to look at the cloaked figures at their feet as they passed.

Climbing the gangplank of a small cargo ship, Eboni pulled herself away from Bren's grasp, blindly searching for a corner in which she could curl up and reflect on what she had just done.

"Anyone know how to sail this thing?" Princess Iasa said, glancing around taking in their home for the next few days.

"It's not quite your father's ship, but it will be easy enough to sail." Replied Orlan who was busy assessing the ropes with his free hand, after sheathing his sword.

Bren lead the Princess and sat her down on the opposite side of the deck to Eboni, leaving Orlan blind for a few moments before he returned and clapped a hand on his shoulder.

"We'll have this sailing in no time." Bren remarked as the men pulled up the anchor and let the gangplank fall into the water below. Releasing the rope holding the sales they unfurled, catching the light breeze flowing through the dock.

Slowly the boat began its journey out of the bay and into the freedom of the vast ocean. Taking the wheel Orlan steered it towards the shore of Rolezal.

They had all regained their sight a few minutes into their journey. Now surrounded by the natural darkness of night, Eboni had retreated into the underbelly of the small ship, not wanting the view of an ever-shrinking God's Land to haunt her vision.

She had decided to explore the vessel. It had three rooms, all lit by moonlight that streamed in through the small portholes in the side of the ship. Each room held a simple wooden single bed and a small set of draws.

Empty.

She sighed, even though there were more important things to worry about now- like finding food aboard for their journey- the idea of setting foot in Rolezal wearing a muddy nightgown and a ripped white Sisters cloak was not how she imagined her first journey over the seas to go.

"Have you found any clothes?" A soft voice floated over her shoulder. Turning around she saw the Princess smiling sadly at her, clutching her own cloak around her tightly to try and find a little more warmth.

She sounded almost- Nice- Perhaps she had been too judgemental in their first meeting.

"Orlan and I will get into the city fine, people know who we are- but you and your friend look like peasants you'll never be aloud through the gates." Her face remained sincere while her voice sneered.

Nope. Not misjudged at all. Eboni turned away from the Princess to hide her sorrow.

"No, all the draws are empty. I was about to go and check the cargo hold. Don't you think we should be worrying about food right now? We're going to be sailing for two days."

She brushed past the Princess whose face was now scrunched up in horror- She probably doesn't even know where food comes from, it's always just handed to her when she is hungry.

"You're right!" she cried out "We're going to die!"

"We won't die Princess." Eboni sighed, rolling her eyes. "We can last without food for many days so long as we have fresh water, which we do, as you can light a fire to purify the water of the ocean all around us." This was going to be a long few days.