Chapter Thirty Seven- Confessions

The Dark Ones Ships crushed the tiny Cerinian vessel as though it was barely an ant in their path. They continued their charge to the shore not slowing down, not even to avoid the craggy rocks that were barely hidden above the surface of the water near the shore.

Eboni watched as Kas made his move, they had strategically planned and discussed this defensive attack, yet she knew that with such unpredictable opponents anything and everything could change at a moment's notice.

Thick hulking vines, as tall as the tallest trees spurted from the ocean floor and wrapped themselves around the hulls of the Dark Ones ships, satisfactorily squeezing until the wood began to splinter and the boats broke.

Eboni could hear the shouting of orders from the ships, knowing they would be coming ashore within moments. There was no need for vessels when the ships were now in shoulder height water.

It was her turn for defence. Kas had managed to wreck a sizable number of vessels that she could see. But she was unable to see the other side of the island to know whether his power had been as strong over there.

Closing her eyes for the briefest second she grabbed onto the mental sight of her power, the white ribbon fluttering with anticipation throughout her power pathways. Clutching it tightly to her, she unleashed her first wave of power.

She pictured in her mind thin but strong tendrils of golden energy, grabbing and grasping at all signs of life that passed it, sucking it from them. They grew upwards from the sea bed, wrapping around the entire island, stopping before they reached the surface. Hidden from the eyes that would be watching on board the ships.

She knew it had worked when she heard the screams of agony as Dark Ones jumped from their ships ready to charge, impaling themselves instead on her invisible devices of torture.

Holding her hands to her ears she tried to muffle to sound of pain that she had caused. She shook herself mentally.

They are the enemy. They want to kill us. This is war.

The thought brought little comfort as the realisation that this was happening caught up to her. She knew that no matter what, from now on she would hear the screams of pain from her fallen enemy and her allies, every time the world around her fell silent.

With her hands slowly falling from her ears back down to her side, she walked backwards towards the men and women standing behind her. The Dark Ones were still sending men to shore, this time armed with steel swords. Swinging them blindly into the water before them. Her threads of energy dispersing into the water as though they were never there to begin with. The bodies that floated to shore the only acknowledgement they had done their job.

They were advancing.

Emerging from the water dressed in the colour of death. Black armour. A black hood covering their faces.

A hundred, maybe more were charging on her from the shore, more jumping into the sea from boats still waiting to be dismounted. Sparing a second, she glanced over to Kas on her left and High Priest Jon on her right to see that they too were facing the same number of opponents.

"Get ready!" She shouted as loudly as she could. She heard the clunking of metal and the war cries of the Sher Wood army replying in response.

The Dark Ones ran forward, unsheathing swords charging without fear or mercy towards her.

Throwing her arms out in front of her, palms forward, power surged from within her, a dazzling light flowing from her palms, bolts of energy flew with sharp speed and precision towards the enemy.