Chapter Thirty Six- Charge

"Eboni."

"Eboni, it's time to wake up."

"I brought you up some food."

Her eyes fluttered open. Sun light spilling into her room casting looming shadows around her room. Kas was leaning over her, his hand brushing the hair from her face.

She watched as his gaze wandered from her hair, to her lips, to her eyes.

"Good morning." He said quietly.

"Morning."

They sat in silence. Eboni took the moment to commit every detail of the man in front of her to memory.

His brown eyes looked down on her with so much love and passion, she would be lying if she said it didn't scare her.

He had shaved his hair back to how it was before they started their journey. She could see fair puckered scars on his scalp, from what she didn't know.

Tracing the tattoos on his olive skin she felt him tense and then relax under her touch.

Today was the day when she would fight by his side.

They had all stayed up late into the night plotting and talking about the attack and their defences.

Kimi had been reunited with her father, who after learning of their journey and fight to get out of Admari had been very proud of his daughter.

With the addition of the Admari soldiers they now stood an actual fighting chance of defeating The Darkness. But no matter how hard she tried Eboni couldn't shake the final line of the prophecy from her mind.

"Don't frown. The prophecy has been written Eboni, no matter how hard you think about it, it will not change." Kas said, as though he had read her mind. His thumb smoothed out the frown lines from her forehead.

"I can't stop. I know it has been written and so it will happen, but we do not know who. If you- Bren..." She shut her eyes tightly trying to banish the thoughts that pulled painfully at her heart.

"We are all family now Eboni. The prophecy does not say that one of us will die. We are all going to fight, not only to win but also for each other."

"You are right. I know this." Eboni replied, smiling through her sadness.

"Once this is all over, I know you are confused over what is next for you. I just wanted you to know that there is a place- a home- for you in Sher Wood with-"

His offer was cut off when Iasa and Kimi bounded into the room.

"Goodness! We sent you up an age ago to get her out of bed, not keep her in it!" Iasa said laughing.

"Your timing is impeccable as always Princess." Kas replied sourly, pushing himself away from Eboni.

"Oh come now, we will be at war after lunch! Time my friend, is precious and simply cannot be wasted." Iasa replied sweetly.

"Thank you Kas, I will consider your offer." Eboni said, reaching for his arm and squeezing it affectionately.

Kas stood from the bed and handed her the bowl of chopped fruit and sweetened bread he had brought up for her.

"You haven't even eaten yet?" Kimi said, walking over to her window to look between Eboni and the horizon.

"I will leave you ladies now, to do whatever ladies do." Kas said, smiling at Eboni before he walked out.

"Do not think we have not noticed the dreamy looks you have been sharing between each other." Iasa said, hopping onto her bed giggling.

"I don't know what you are talking about." Eboni replies nonchalantly, popping a piece of fruit into her mouth while picking at the sweet bread.