Chapter Eighteen- Seer

Something just didn't feel right. The tight unsettling feeling that twisted in Eboni's gut just wouldn't go away.

Perhaps it was the emotionless stares from the Empress's staff that were constantly at her side- watching. Or the sickeningly high placement of the groups quarters.

Kas had remained on the other side of the room to the open windows, breaking into a visibly nervous sweat at even the smallest of glances to the long unobstructed decent to the land below.

They were treated well enough, each retiring to their rooms and falling straight to sleep after their long day.

They awoke late the next morning to the suns shining high in the sky, and after taking a bath, Eboni joined the others in their communal room. They spent the day reading, watching the world go by out of the window and played board games.

The exchange of wary glances towards the staff and the hostile feeling that had settled over them was unsettling. Each time Eboni found herself alone with one of the others, and they had begun to talk about what they should do next, a servant had found an excuse to interrupt their conversation or invade their personal space.

A messenger arrived as the blue sky was beginning to be blotched by vivid orange and red, swirling together in an enticing dance across the horizon- Informing them of the time of the feast the Empress had promised to throw.

Sitting together in the communal lounge that connected their chambers they were extremely aware of the fact that nothing they said around the servants would be kept in confidence. They had made idle chit chat before their conversations of meaningless blab ran dry.

Kas stood suddenly, stretching with a sleepy yawn.

"I'm going to go and take a rest, I will be out in time for the feast so do not bother to wake me. Enjoy your evening." He nodded to the group- smirking at his brother- before retreating to his bed.

Atu sighed, rolling his eyes. "Eboni- why don't you go and keep my brother company?"

Bren choked on the gulp of water he was drinking, Orlan raised a pointed eyebrow and Iasa blushed, giggling quite as Eboni sat speechless, staring at Atu.

"Excuse me?" She asked, utterly perplexed.

"Eboni- go and keep my brother company." Atu repeated, more sternly this time.

Eboni retreated into Kas's room hesitantly while wondering what in God's Land had possessed Atu to make such a demand of her.

Shutting the door behind her she looked to the large bed that dominated the bedroom expecting to see Kas sprawled out on top of the sheets.

It was empty.

A small chuckle from the window caught her attention and Eboni froze in horror as she saw Kas stood on the open windowsill- as though he were about to jump.

"What are you doing!?" Eboni hissed running forward to his side.

"I honestly expected my brother, but being with you shall be even more enjoyable." Kas grinned, hoisting her up so they stood toe to toe.

"Answer the question Kas! I thought you were afraid of heights?" Eboni gripped onto his cloak tightly, afraid of falling.

"Here." He swung a cloak that had been thrown over his shoulder onto hers. Drawing up the hood around her face. "A show for the people who have been watching us, nothing more."

"Why would you want to trick them into thinking you were afraid of heights?"

"When I was a young boy- to evade doing something I did not want to do I would tell my mother and father that I was going for a rest- then I would jump out of the window and run off into the forest to have fun. Atu would join me sometimes, and so, here we are."