Chapter Three- Prayers

After savouring the sacred fruit Bren had saved for her, it had taken them nearly an hour to wash the incriminating purple stains from their hands. Locked in the communal bathrooms in case someone came in and caught them, they had scrubbed their hands until the purple had been replaced with red.

Eboni wasn't quite certain what their punishment would be for being caught eating the sacred fruit, but from High Priest Jon's reaction to the missing fruit she was sure she did not want to find out.

The single toll of the temples bell signalling the setting of the first sun had sent them racing from their hiding place, drying their hands on their robes as they ran through the temple gardens to join the line of Brothers and Sisters slowly beginning to enter the Temple.

The six-sided building loomed above their heads, each side dominated by a large stained glass window. Falling into step behind the others, Eboni began to softly chant the evening prayer as she entered the building.

Sitting down in the last two chairs at the back of the temple, Eboni couldn't help but giggle at the glare High Priest Jon was sending Bren from the front of the temple.

"Shush." The sharp tongue of Sister Arianna said, standing in front of her, she turned to glare at her. Even after Eboni had grown up and entered the Sisterhood officially, Sister Arianna was still as unpleasant as ever to her.

Biting her lips to stop herself from making any more noise, Eboni focused on High Priest Jon, who had begun to start the ritual. The setting of the first sun cast a warm orange glow through the stained-glass window behind him, casting its light across the congregation.

Five copper bowls were laid out on wooden plinths before the High Priest, as their chanting reached its melodic end.

"The element of Water. It washes away our pain and connects us with our brethren." He lifted a large jug above his head as the Brothers and Sisters raised their hands to bless its contents.

Tipping it, water began to trickle into the bowl until it was full to its brim.

Moving onto the next bowl, High Priest Jon struck a match, raising it above his head to complete the process.

"The element of Fire. It purges the Darkness and brings us comfort in the cold." Lowering the match the bowl lit up with fire, burning the clear liquid at the bottom sending flames licking up into the air.

"The element of Earth. It gives us our sustenance and provides us land to place our feet upon." A sapling from the garden was lowered into the copper bowl and buried into the waiting earth.

"The element of Wind. It provides us with the air we breathe and holds us up when our legs are weak." A clear glass hollow globe was lowered into the copper bowl.

"And Spirit. It motivates us to lead good and thoughtful lives. It lights our way in the dark and comforts us when we need its embrace." High Priest Jon raised his hands, his eyes meeting hers as her part of the ritual began.

Focusing on the space between his raised hands, she felt the power within her stir. It flowed within her, surging to her fingertips. Pointing her palms to High Priest Jon's' waiting hands, she watched on satisfied as shards of light warmed his hands, swirling around his wrists before settling into the howl below. It was a sight that she would never grow tired of. A gift from the creator, given just to her.

High Priest Jon lowered his hands and walked backwards to stand under the window, the five bowls still containing their elements. The orange glow filtering through the window began to fade as the first sun completed its decent into the horizon, plunging the temple into darkness.