Last Chapter

Amber's

I closed my eyes as I inhaled the morning air. It was good to be in this place. I can see the wide blue ocean sparkling and waving-it was a sight to behold. I remembered my father taking me to beach when I was a kid. Once again, I inhaled and the smell of the heavenly place welcomed me.

I went outside and quickly felt the warm sand with my bare foot. It actually tickled me but it felt good. This kind of ambiance was really soothing, like I was in a sanctuary wherein all I can see and all I can feel was peacefulness. The tranquility of the place calmed my heart, it was healing. I felt safe.

But today, I was not here to relax. Today was her first death anniversary. I can't help but shudder in remembering what happened. It's been a year since that last traumatic encounter with Elrick and I still can't believe that it actually happened. It's really terrible and scary-but it's all in the past now.

The memories were still hunting us sometimes, but we were all trying to move forward.

I stiffened when a pair of soft hands snaked around my waist. I quickly relaxed when I felt that familiar warmth of embrace. "Morning. Mukhang ang lalim ng iniisip mo, ah."

My heartbeat started to thump uncontrollably. Siya lang ang may kakayahang gumawa nito sa akin. I smiled and held her hands. "Nothing, I was just thinking about the accident that happened a year ago."

"Hmm..." She sniffed and kisses my nape. I felt myself shivering because of that. "Parang ang bilis lang ng mga nangyari. It's been a year now."

I faced her and planted a kiss on her lips. "I love you, Zekhaila."

I kissed her again. She licked and bit my lower lip and I gladly opened my mouth so that she can kiss me deeper. I sucked her tongue and she moaned. I smiled between the kiss. I loved the sound she always makes. Our lips moved passionately. We parted our lips after a couple of seconds.

She smiled and kissed my nose. "I love you, too, Amber."

Hearing her say that was always the best thing. I loved how she always managed to make me fall for her over and over again. She's true to her words. I was so lucky to have her.

She held my hand as we started to walk. "Kailangan na nating mag-ayos. Alam mo naman, may sinusunod tayong oras."

I nodded with a smile. At exactly nine in the morning, we're going to spread Ivy's ashes in the ocean. It was her last will-and it's her first death anniversary. I remembered it clearly, before she died...

Just when Elrick was about to pull the trigger, Ivy came in and immediately shot him repeatedly while crying. The guy was shot in the back and his chest. I saw how she looked at the man-it was filled with both pain and love. It looked painful to see. I felt pain for her, how she managed to kill the one she loved.

Then what happened next was unexpected. She smiled at us-it was beautiful and tragic-and shot herself. I heard Zekhaila calling her best friend's name. Ivy gave the letter to Zekhaila before she ran out of breath. I didn't know her a lot, even up until now, but I remembered crying hard that time. I was both thankful and grieving that we lost a life that didn't deserve to perish.

Her first letter was all about her last will. She wanted to be burn into ashes and to spread it on the ocean when this day comes at exactly nine in the morning while Zekhaila was reading the second letter. We didn't know why she decided it to be at nine in the morning, but we just respect the decision.

We'd been rescued after that. The help came finally and now, here we were-alive and breathing. If only the help came earlier, maybe we can still be with her. Maybe a lot can change. It's really a storm that we all surpassed. Many bad things happened but at least things were getting better with few adjustments. My father's okay, I stopped going to school for a semester because I had to take sessions for counseling to help me deal with the trauma, Zekhaila already stopped being in the field and was just working in the office-everything's going smooth.