Chapter 9

Amber's

I focused myself on the television despite being bothered by my extreme heartbeat. It started racing after Zekhaila kissed my forehead before going. I didn't know if this was a good or a bad thing.

I will admit that I was started having a hard time focusing ever since she started involving herself with me. She's too persistent, she didn't like getting no as an answer. No matter what I do, she kept getting close to me.

She said she's my friend so maybe that's the reason why I was feeling like this because I wasn't used in this kind of relationship. I was not used of having someone around, to actually have someone who wanted to stay. But why was I feeling strange? This fast heartbeats I can't control, this weird sensation in my stomach, was this all necessary? Was this the feeling of having a friend?

There's one thing I was sure of —I was getting attached.

My train of thoughts popped like bubbles when I heard a knock on the door. I stood up. I didn't want to but I suddenly felt excited. Is it Zekhaila already? My heartbeat fastened again just by the mere thought of her.

I tried to hide my excitement as I made my way to my door and opened it but to my disappointment, it was not the person that I was expecting. It was a guy and he's wearing a black mask.

He immediately put his handkerchief on my mouth before I can even speak. I struggled but I felt weak as I tried to struggle more. I can't breathe normally and I feel sleepy. I think I inhaled something. There was something in it, there was a strange, sleepy smell.

He held my waist as darkness slowly consumed me.

--

I woke up. I sighed in relief when I realized that I was in my own room. My eyes felt so heavy but I tried to open it. My dream felt so real and strange somehow.

The door opened without being knocked. I turned and saw Zekhaila carrying a tray of food. She smiled and quickly moved towards me. "Mabuti naman gising ka na. Kain ka na, oh. Pinagluto kita. Breakfast in bed."

"What happened?" I asked as soon as I slowly sat on my bed, leaning my back on the headboard. I can't remember clearly what happened before I found myself here. But I felt like I was able to sleep really well.

"Wala naman." She said, almost looking confused. "Pagbalik ko kagabi, naabutan kitang tulog na sa living room nang bukas ang TV kaya dinala na kita sa kwarto mo."

She placed the food in front of me. It was consisted of fried rice, hotdog and egg with a glass of milk. I nodded my head. Maybe that's what really happened yesterday and I just didn't remember it.

"Kain ka na. Susubuan kita, ah." She took the fork and spoon. She spooned the rice and egg and leaned it closer to my lips. "Say ah."

I shook my head, getting embarrassed. No one has ever fed me before. "I-I can eat on my own."

She frowned. "Ah, basta, susubuan kita. Bahala ka. Bilis na, kain na."

I sighed. Why she's unstoppable? I shyly took the food. This was really awkward. I felt like I was being treated like a kid. But I can't decline her, she's too pushy when she wanted to do something.

She smiled, her eyes twinkling with amusement. She leaned to give me a kiss on the cheek and I can't help but gulp, my heart was betraying me again. "Good girl, baby."

I felt my cheeks warming because of her endearment. I guess Zekhaila noticed the reaction because her smirk gave it all. Ah, why was this happening to me? I never wanted to turn into a living tomato.

She continued feeding me until I finished everything—except the milk. She handed it to me but I refused. "I don't like milk."

"Hindi pwede." she said, "You need to drink this."

"Don't wanna." I can't help but puff my cheeks. It was too childish of me but I don't really like it. Even when I was young, I was trying not to drink milk as possible as I can. It's just not tasty to me.

"Now you're acting like a kid." She shook her head and smiled. "Alam kong cute ka pero kailangan mong inumin 'to."

I shook my head a few times. I really don't want to drink it.

"Isa, Amber. Inumin mo 'to or else..." Her smile turned into grin, one of her brows raised. It looked really alarming that I gulped. It's like she's planning something that I won't like. "I'll force you to drink this using my...mouth."

"You won't do that." I said. It was a success that I didn't stutter.

"Trust me, Amber, kaya kong gawin at gagawin ko 'yon." She raised a brow again, as if challenging me, daring me. "I will love to feel your lips on mine while you're drinking it. Ano, gusto mo no'n?"

I stared at her. She didn't change her expression one bit. She looked so serious that my defense was starting to crumble. It looked like she's really planning to do it once I object again. I averted my gaze downward.

"F-fine." I breathed. "I'll drink it."

She smiled and gave me the milk. I took it slowly, putting my lips on the glass rim. I drank it hesitantly hanggang sa maubos ko ito. I grimaced at the taste of the milk.

"Masarap, 'di ba?" she asked teasingly.

"No." I answered flatly. I was trying so hard not to pout. This...she was being unfair.

Lumapit siya sa'kin bigla. She cornered me on the headboard. My heart sped up in a race I can't control. I unconsciously heaved a deep breath. She was too close! "W-what are you—"

She hushed me. She put her thumb on my chin. My eyes widened when she leaned even more close, her breath fanning my skin. She stared at my eyes and I can't seem to avert mine away from her. Then she started staring down —on my lips.

My eyes widened in shock when she licked my upper lip, tasting the residue of the milk. I realized I was gripping the sheet so tight after she did that. What exactly happened? How can she just... I wanted to push her but I felt like my strength just abandoned my body.

"Masarap naman yung milk, eh." She smiled, kissing the tip of my nose afterwards. She leaned to my ear. I instinctively held her on both shoulders. "But I bet your lips tastes sweeter."

"W-what are you...doing?" I stuttered. I think any moment from now my cheeks will burn for real. It was too hot! This was literally the first time it happened to me and I really didn't know how to react. Should I push her?

I gripped her shoulders tight and tried to put some distance but she won't move away. She took both of my hands and put it down. I never felt this trapped my entire life. She was so close and I can't think of anything to make her move away, or to even escape.

"Is this what friends usually do?" I asked instead. But why did it feel like I asked the wrong thing?

She chuckled. She gazed at me, her expression changed to a serious one. "This is what more than friends usually do." she answered. "You're too innocent, aren't you?"

"Just get off from me." I said. It's starting to get really uncomfortable. It made me want to hide.

She laughed and slowly stood up. She picked up the tray where the plate was. "Huhugasan ko lang ang pinagkainan mo and as for you, maligo ka na muna or kung gusto mo, ako ang magpapaligo sa'yo—"

"Stop it!"

"You're really cute." She laughed out loud.

_____