Chapter 14

Amber's

I woke up when I felt Zekhaila's hand moved to my upper back. I opened my eyes and looked at her sleeping face. She looked calm and innocent that opposed her aggressive yet sweet personality when awake.

I stood up, glancing at the clock. It's almost two in the afternoon now. Zekhaila's really deprived of sleep. I put the sheet just right above her shoulder so she can sleep comfortably. I can't help but smile. She looked like she's really meant to sleep at my bed.

I stretched, yawning softly. I went to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth. Awhile ago, Zekhaila really looked sad and stressed out but she won't let me ask. I hope she'll tell me once she's awake. I was worried. She became important to me after all.

After my morning rituals, I got out of my room and made my way to the kitchen. I'll just cook a late lunch for us. I first set the rice cooker while I will cook the viand on the other hand. I opened the fridge to look for the ingredients and, great─I think I can only make adobo.

I readied the pan and put oil on it. When it's okay now to put stuffs, I first sauteed the garlic then so on. While I was waiting for it to simmer, I almost jumped when a pair of long, soft arms hugged my waist.

"Good afternoon," she sleepily whispered. I felt Zekhaila sniffing my neck and I can't help but shuddered a bit.

"Y-yeah." I cleared my throat. "Can you please step aside? I'm cooking kasi."

She let go of me and I saw her grabbed a seat. I tried averting my focus to the dish but I can still feel her penetrating gaze even though I was not looking.

"You look edible on your apron." Her voice sounded sultry. "Can I eat you?"

"Huh?" I cleared my throat, trying to regain composure. I was confused with the question because I was too distracted with her presence. "Ah, m-maluluto na naman yung f-food, so..."

"I'm just kidding." She let out a laugh.

Once I was done, I turned off the stove and did the plating and all. I served the food to us. I tried not to get distracted or to be clumsy while preparing everything because she kept on staring at me. I didn't want to be too obvious that her presence affected me.

She tasted the dish and smiled, her eyes sparkling. "Wow. Ang sarap, ah."

"Thanks." I murmured in a low voice and smiled. Zekhaila, praising me made me feel good.

"You can be a good wife, you know that?" She told me with both of her brows raising teasingly at me.

I shook my head. "Let's just eat."

--

"Bakit madaling araw ka na nakauwi?" I asked her. We were sitting at the sofa. She was cuddling me and as usual, I wasn't able to free myself from her, it's not I even wanted to let go. She's just too strong and besides, it may be embarrassing to admit but, I was now getting used to it. I liked her close to me. "You were gone for too long."

"Naaksidente kasi yung kaibigan ko and she's..." I caught her smiling when I stared at her. But her eyes looked sad. She gulped like something was stuck in her throat. "She's in comatose."

I nodded slowly, unable to avert my gaze. I didn't know how to feel but I was honestly feeling bad to hear it. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't ask—"

She hushed me with a kiss. It was too sudden that I was stunned at first but I kissed her back anyway. We parted our lips after a while. She's caressing my cheeks as she kissed my nose and gave me a peck on the lips.