The Truth

Katsuki Bakugou

"What did...you say?" Deku's still misty eyes took on a craze of emotions as he tried to comprehend what I'd said. It's understandable, really, it is. His childhood hero is the same man who just caused him to break down a few moments ago, "But Mr. Yagi is..." Even as Deku tried to reason why Mr. Yagi and All Might couldn't be the same person I could tell he was putting it together, "How do you know?"

"Well..." This is a bit more complicated, "All Might's quirk, you know how he never says what it is?" Deku nodded, "It's because it's a quirk that the user can pass down. It's named One For All and I'm the ninth user. All Might gave it to me after I tried to save you from that sludge bastard." I could tell by his eyes that Deku wished he had his notebook to document this in, "The existence of this quirk is a huge fucking secret. It's felt like All Might put a boulder on me if I'm being honest, forcing me to be unable to speak to anybody about it."

"I'm sorry," Deku has been apologizing all day and I hate the sound of it, "Sorry to hear about that, sorry to force it out of you." He turned his gaze to the floor, "Must have been exciting though, scary, but exciting."

"It's been interesting," I recalled the training I've been doing with the boiling water and shuddered, "One For All enhanced my quirk so I've had to relearn how to control it. Plus it increased my physical abilities, I've been trying to hide that though. I figure if I started punching things like All Might and using his moves people might put it together, or might think I'm related to All Might. I'd rather avoid all of that."

"Like a secret love child," Deku chuckled and lifted his head again, "So maybe that's why..." I made a noise to tell him to explain and Deku looked at me, "During the USJ attack when All Might saved us, he didn't call me Young Midoriya like he usually does. He called me Izuku, my first name. So...it's because he's Mr. Yagi..."

God, All Might sure is a fucking idiot. Slipping up like that around somebody as smart as Deku, it's asking for trouble. Deku's head turned to the hall we had walked from and a frown reappeared on his face, "So even somebody as cool as All Might wanted nothing to do with me."

It's so fucked up how I've never noticed Deku's insecurities about his worth until now. I've seen him feeling uneasy before, being nervous, doubting himself. But it takes a lot for a person to begin insulting themselves, "Deku that's not it." He didn't budge and I grabbed his arm to pull him closer, "All Might is sort of uh emotionally stunted."

Deku's blank stare let me know that I wasn't convincing him at all, "When All Might was training, like us, he ended up alone for a long time. Then the user of One For All before him found him but she died before she could train him properly. All Might sort of drifted around for a bit, even ending up in America, and I don't think he ever really grew up. I think when his mentor died he hit pause emotionally." I don't know what I'm talking about as a non-therapist but I'm trying my best dammit, "Like he never dealt with it, I guess. So when he met your mom, or, well...having a relationship and a kid are huge responsibilities and I guess he got scared of getting attached to somebody again."

I could probably bring up how Ms. Midoriya sort of resembles All Might's mentor but maybe I shouldn't throw gasoline onto an already out of control fire. Deku sighed and I felt him lean into my side, "It just hurts so...much. I always thought my dad left us because he didn't love me and then Mr. Yagi showed up." Deku's breath faltered for a moment and I worried he would start crying again, "He showed up and I thought I had a dad. I made him gifts, he called me kiddo, I was excited to show him when I got good grades, and I wanted to start calling him dad too. Then I went into that coma and it was like I woke up in a new world." Deku paused again and I could see him picking at his cuticles which I've told him over and over again not to do. I grabbed his hand to stop him from damaging his skin further, "It's like nobody loves me in this new world."