Uncle Noritaka

Katsuki Bakugo

What a shitty day.

Deku usually makes sure he's free today but his work as a TA pulled him away, must be important. Supposedly, he's helping that caterpillar teacher with organizing a surprise tomorrow. Why did it have to be today though and why couldn't he get away? He knows...he knows what today is.

It's gray like it always is, it's like all the color gets sapped from the world. You never feel the space of a room the same way you do when somebody leaves. All that's left in here is a small ceramic elephant on my desk, the rest doesn't seem as important.

I let my emotions dull before I headed downstairs. I found Dad in the living room, Dad's usually quiet but he's always quieter today. I didn't say anything just silently sat next to him on the couch, he had his fingers intertwined with each other as he stared at the wall. He didn't speak so I didn't, just watched him. He looked like he was remembering, his eyes looked blank if I couldn't see his breathing I might have assumed he was dead.

"Katsuki, ready to go?"

I shook my head as the voice rung in it, I don't want to remember. I want to forget it, forget what happened. It's a fool's wish. How could I forget? Forget the monthly getaways, the gifts he snuck me, the way my throat burned like it never had before. It hurts, it really does, ending your relationship with somebody in the middle of a disagreement. Never able to reconcile, never having said goodbye, not being able to say you love them, not knowing you'd never have another minute together.

"I'm ready!"

I wonder if dad blames me...

"Then let's get going, hm?" Katsuki looked up at his beloved Uncle Noritaka, Uncle Taka for short. Uncle Taka often took his nephew when he went on easy hiking and camping trips, Katsuki loved being outdoors and he loved his Uncle more than anything. In Katsuki's hands sat a polished white elephant he'd just received as a gift. Apparently Taka had won it at an Arcade and decided to give it to him.

Katsuki looked behind him at his smiling father, "Go." Masaru said, "Have fun and look after my troublesome little brother will you?" Katsuki grinned.

"Of course!" He said and held his fist up like his favorite hero, All Might, "Uncle Taka is gonna need somebody as strong as me!" He declared, making the two brothers laugh at his antics, "You laugh now but one day I'll be the best hero around!"

"I'm sure," Taka said as Katsuki handed his dad the elephant for safe keeping, "But for now we need to get going if we want to get up that trail before sunset." Katsuki put his hat on and took Taka's hand as the adult led him to the car. Katsuki liked going on these getaways almost every month, he grew up in the heart of a major city but he preferred the quiet of nature. And, he preferred quiet people like his uncle and father and...

"Seatbelt," Taka reminded. Katsuki quietly buckled his and then returned his red gaze to the window. It was cathartic to watch the world go by, watching the apartment buildings and skyscrapers slowly turning into small houses, tiny corner stores, and eventually just trees and bushes. Usually, Katsuki pretended a shadow man was running along with the car and doing flips and ninja moves to keep up but when he was heading to a trail with Taka he just watched the wide world with his small eyes.

After what felt like both forever and just five minutes Taka spoke, "We're here," Katsuki leaned forward as the car slowed to a stop. Katsuki perked up and unfastened his seatbelt so he could hop out of the car. His boots caused some dirt to fly into the air when he landed on the ground and he stared at it, watching the wind carrying it away. Taka came around to Katsuki after getting the bags from the car and noted his wayward expression, "You okay, dude?"